1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Powered monitor for live vocal thru M-Audio/Cakewalk?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by anxiousmofo, Jan 10, 2008.

1. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Hi folks:

I've got a low brow little recording rig at home that partially involves a v67G mic running into a MobilePre USB, on into Sonar 6, and then back to the MobilePre. I usually use this with headphones, which works dandy, but would like to add a monitor so I can sometimes do the amplified vocals thing.

I occasionally run the out on the MobilePre into my Audigy 2 and then out through my computer speakers, but the end result is too gainy due to the two tiers of input/line volume.

Can anyone recommend a budgetesque monitor that I could use for this purpose? I don't really need reference sound. I do, however, need a monitor that would be not so nearfield and clearly audible with my (apartment volume) 2x12 rocking (30 watt head, attenuated).

Tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Can't you plug in the speakers straight into the line out of the mobilepre in the back? Otherwise, you can set the input of your DAW for the Mobilepre, and the output as the computer's soundcard using your ASIO driver.

3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

I have a Klipsch Ultra 5.1 system and no, not so simple. And, that said, I'd like this to be set and forget.

The output re-routing to my Audigy doesn't work with the MobilPre and/or SONAR. I've tried that time and time again. Also tried it with the NI Rig Kontrol and no dice. May be due to DX quirks from the Creative driver.

Thanks for the reply, by the way!

4. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Ahhh, I see, 5.1? Hmm, I remember seeing a 5.1 encoder setting on my DAW though, and it allowed me to use 5.1 by assigning all available outputs of my system.

Too much gain? have you tried using the software controls for the mobilepre? you can adjust the gain from there, as well as master input gain and dry monitoring.