Powered Monitors...and getting your sound to the audience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, May 20, 2006.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Im not sure where this thread fits at TGP, but I figured powered monitors are AMPS...soooooo...

For YEARS i've really been ignorent. I've always thought that if my stage tone was excellent, then the audience hears the same thing...WRONG. I've found that its IMPOSSIBLE to play from the stage, and its rather disappointing to find out that probably 80% of the time my tone was horrific of stage. So MOnitors are my next step.

I was wondering what some of the BEST powered monitors are. COnfigurations, power, brand, etc. I am looking to become more and more professional with my rig and I think a monitor plugged into our sound system is my next step. BUT I want a GOOD monitor that will really tell me how my rig is sounding through the PA so I can help tweak EQs and such to give the best possible sound to the audience as well as helping my bandmates hearing loss;)

Thanks for any help/experiences you guys may have.

2. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

...my sound system and stage setup is designed around having a decent guitar signal coming back into my monitor. Not enough to overpower the vocals, but enough to get the guitar in my face. This way I have a good idea of the house guitar sound. Not that it is 100% like the house mix, I trust the fact that our soundman also plays guitar. That helps a lot!

That's how I get away with a 50 watt combo. I found a picture of my old Kitty Hark M1 full stack from the late 80's. I don't believe I used to cart that around! It did sound good and full, soundmen cringed just looking at it!

notice the mic...

[​IMG]

3. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

For the last 4 years I've been using a full Mackie P.A. Board,Subs,Mains & Monitors. All "Active/Powered" I Love the stuff!! The Monitors, SRM450
    are super. 400 watts total output with a 12" & Horn. Range 48Hzto20kHz.
    We use 3 of them. 2 strictly for vocals & 1 w/sub for vocals & A Roland
    V-drum set. Very reliable & great sounding. They run new about $700ea.

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

thanks.

Anyone else out ther? Is there any monitor suggestions other than Mackie?

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Another nod to Mackie SRM 450's (mains) as well as SRM 350's (monitors). I use a Mackie 1402 mixer at gigs, too. Great stuff.

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've used the JBL EON G2 10 and heard the 15" version. The 10 sounds amazing, is user friendly portable and puts out a lot of sound. The 15" is a monsta!!!!!! (prob overkill in most situations)

jon

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

First off, the monitors will help but not solve your sound concerns. Monitors are nearfield, and to allay feedback will be EQ'd differently (or should be) than the mains, so they're just not going to sound the same. Further, the sound to the audience, with most simple PAs, is going to vary a lot depending on where they're standing and the type of room. If you really want great sound, here's what I'd suggest:
    1. If possible, hire a soundman-someone who knows the band and is sympathetic to what you want to sound like. If he cares, and has decent ears, he can completely make your live sound.
    2. If that doesn't work, the best I can suggest is to get a wireless, just to use during soundcheck, and take the guitar out in the room and listen to how things are blending and how you sound.

I really don't know of any other way to be sure what's going out over the PA. Of course, having a good sound from the guitar in the monitors is better than having a bad sound from them...

8. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi,

+1 for the EON 10 G2.

Based on the 'promotion' :) by Scott Peterson I use this monitor when playing live with my Line6 XTL. It's really a great sounding piece of gear and easy to carry.

Bye,
    Lars

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I've never like my guitar coming out of a 2-way monitor. The sound was never what the amp felt like, until one date (long time ago) we had a professional soundman from Nashville mix the sound. I was using a Mesa MKIII combo. Soundman made all the difference, actually made me play better AND sound better. Totally agree with getting someone who knows, but unfortunately that is a little hard to find now-a-days. Just remember not to pump too much highs. As bass freqs spreadout, treble tends to keep going making you sound thin, especially while scooping the middle. While that is cool for backgound power chords, those mids must be there for the guitar to cut. Otherwise you're competing with cymbols, and bass guitar. Your guitar will sound lost in the mix, IMHO.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You want to mic the guitar, then have it bounced back to you, on stage, via a personal (?) guitar only, monitor that is driven by the output of the PA? You then expect that will allow you to adjust your amp tone based on the monitor sound, hoping to have the "improved" tone in the house system, right? Just checking.

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Another vote for the wireless. Or even just a really long cable. Even if you just use it for soundcheck, then go back to whatever you normally use. I don't think using a monitor will fix what you describe. Only ears in the audience can, whether they be yours, soundman's, or another player's you trust.

12. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Roughly yes...

I"m not looking to do a drastic EQ sweeping change. And It wouldn't be at the amp itself since i KNOW what sounds good through my 4x12, its the PA's EQ that I want to help tweak. The problem with a long cable/wireless is that I change how I sound throughout the night with how hard I hit the guitar and with playing styles...so its great for a quick check in teh beginning, but I want to monitor (no pun intended) the sound throughout the night.

drbob1 has a good point. And I'm sure the monitor will not be exactly what he house system sounds like... but so far, the Mains and my 4x12 are producing almost completely different signals and its annoying me. I figure having a monitor will at least HELP me push the EQ and the sound in the right direction.

Oh, and no worries Matt G. I hate treble.. I'm a BIG believer in Mids and you can probably tell that with my soundclips.