• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Powered personal (small/mic stand mounted) vocal monitors: what's the best?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I'm using a 3 or 4 year old TC Hellicon VoiceSolo powered personal vocal monitor that I've never liked. I'm ready like to upgrade. What's the best? I know I could go with an 8" QSC, EV, or the like - and perhaps might, still - but I really do like aspects of the small, light, mic stand-mounted personal monitors.

Options include (and I'm not listing the Behringer unit which I'm certain I don't want):

Nady PM-200A Powered Personal Stage Monitor $190
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-pm-200a-powered-personal-stage-monitor

Galaxy Audio PA6S 170W Personal PA System/Monitor $300
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/galaxy-audio-pa6s-170w-personal-pa-system-monitor

Mackie SRM150 $250
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CIiWmZmssLwCFY9lOgodMT4ATw

loudboy

Useless for a band w/a drummer.

I'd look for a powered cab w/a 10" speaker and a horn - QSC, RCF, Yamaha, EV.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Not useless for band practice at all and we practice reasonably loud (have you actually tried one)?

speakerjones

What is it you don't like about the TC?
I tend to agree with loudboy on this, but my sound co. uses Galaxy Hotspots and TOA SM25's. Both are great, but I only ever use them in low SPL situations.

RustyAxe

I use a Behringer B205D in my country band. No problem hearing myself or the other vocalists, and I'm three feet from the drummer. I got it used (minty) and paid $80. I've heard the Mackies, and for the money I'd take the Behringers.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
What is it you don't like about the TC?
I tend to agree with loudboy on this, but my sound co. uses Galaxy Hotspots and TOA SM25's. Both are great, but I only ever use them in low SPL situations.
I find the TC shrill and while it's loud enough I have to crank it almost full up which may contribute to the shrillness.

I also dig loudboy's input. I'll definitely consider his advice further.

sants

I would honestly look into the alto powered stuff. If it is just for monitor use to me there isn't much sense in spending the money on the qsc stuff. If you have the money sure! The Alto powered stuff has been been getting great reviews and it is made by yorkville. I have heard these and will be eventually be be picking some up when I overhaul my system. these are just going into monitor duty though. They sound great and for the money hard to beat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-ts110a-600w-10-2-way-active-speaker

the 12" is $50 more

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Upon further reflection, I just want a small, light personal monitor, stand mounted, with the controls facing me, for band practice. I'm going to resist the temptation to overdo it. So back to the original question ... anyone got a fave among the small personal vocal monitors I listed or prefer others? (And I'm still avoiding the Behringer unit. I already own one Behringer powered speaker and two passive ones, besides my Yamaha mainstays. I'm just not that into them.)

JamminJoe

Another recommendation for the Alto TS110a powered 10" monitor. They're very easy to carry and sound very good with lots of power. I tried a pair out as floor monitors for the first time on a gig this weekend and they worked out great. I got a great deal on them on Ebay ($440 shipped for a pair with some decent speaker stands). That ebay seller sold a dozen pairs, and I'm hoping to buy another pair if/when he has more to sell. It's also nice using these as mains for low key gigs or parties, since they are much easier to carry around versus powered 12's.

speakerjones

I find the TC shrill and while it's loud enough I have to crank it almost full up which may contribute to the shrillness.

I also dig loudboy's input. I'll definitely consider his advice further.
If you have to crank it all the way up, then it's not loud enough. Don't think of it as overkill, think of it as headroom. Of course it's shrill, you've got a couple of tiny drivers on full tilt. More power and a large driver is what you need for a balanced sound with some warmth to it. Don't just go for a different brand of the wrong approach. Those things are for piano/vocal duos, pit orchestras and the like. Not for rock singers.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Another recommendation for the Alto TS110a powered 10" monitor. They're very easy to carry and sound very good with lots of power. I tried a pair out as floor monitors for the first time on a gig this weekend and they worked out great. I got a great deal on them on Ebay ($440 shipped for a pair with some decent speaker stands). That ebay seller sold a dozen pairs, and I'm hoping to buy another pair if/when he has more to sell. It's also nice using these as mains for low key gigs or parties, since they are much easier to carry around versus powered 12's.
Thanks for the suggestions. Two quick follow-up question on using them as floor monitors: Did you simply tilt them on their sides? Also, how's the crossover when it comes to vocals (that's all I'd be using it for)?

JamminJoe

The TS110a is molded on the back so it can be used as a floor monitor. I bought the 10" speakers so I'd have more portable speakers (I've mostly had 12's and some 15's in the past), but the 10" size has worked out very well as monitors since the vocals cut through very well with this size speaker. I've tried this speaker as a keyboard monitor for my Nord Stage and it sounds very good as well so it has many applications. Check them out, you might like them as much as I do.

jimfist

Quite a few years ago, I purchased the older version Galaxy Hotspot mic stand mounted monitor. It was a special deal that included the powered mini monitor, and two other passive satellite monitors that got their power from the main powered mini monitor, with the speaker cables and a rolling gig bag (about the size of carry-on luggage) all for $299 IIRC.

I use them on the odd occasion I need to hear just a tad of vocals on stage in a small PA format. I have also used them with full band and larger PA systems and they cut through the mix surprisingly well, but don't confuse them what is output by a larger, proper stage wedge. They are specifically designed to reproduce a limited range of frequencies for vocals, primarily. For tiny little boxes, they perform their function, and I'd rather use one of these than have nothing at all. Because you can mount them on a mic stand much closer to your head, and aim them strategically for highest gain before feedback, you'd be surprised at how well you can hear your vocal. YMMV, but when you want the tiny footprint and the ability to hear just enough of your vocal on stage (they won't blow you away, unless you have a relatively quiet stage), these things will do the job.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I wonder ... is there an excellent sounding, mic stand mountable, acoustic guitar amp that might work well for this app (mic amplification)?

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
My band uses a chain of the Mackies, and I have one of the Behringer knock offs in that chain. For quite a while we used the old model of the little grey EON powered monitors on the floor.

The Mackies/Behringers are fine and with everybody having one on a boom or mic stand it's pretty easy to adjust on the fly. Turn it up when you need to hear yourself, turn it down when you don't and they have eq knobs which lets people tailor it more to their liking too. I don't do a ton of vocals - a few lead vocals and some backgrounds - but I haven't had any problems.

I think the EONs led to more stage volume problems but maybe not, it seems like stage volume is always a problem to some degree.

Most of the online retailers have a pretty generous return policy as does GC so if you are really fed up with what you have now its not much of a risk to try something new.

yigba

My band just switched to those TC Voice Solos (passive version) and we love them. Nice and light. And they're so close I can't imagine them having to be that loud.Yes, full rock band with drummer.

We keep our stage volume at a level where we don't have to push them at all. Guitar, 3 vocals, piano, bass, drums sax and synth

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Most of the online retailers have a pretty generous return policy as does GC so if you are really fed up with what you have now its not much of a risk to try something new.
Good point. I'm leaning now towards the Galaxy. Its crossover freq's on the EQ are 200 bass 2K mids. I like that better than the Mackie at 100 and 2.5K for vocals.

ModdersAnon

Don't discount the Behringer 205d. It is perfect for a vocal/acoustic guitar monitor.

The Mackie has come down in price, it may be the way to go. When our band bought the Behringer 205d, the Mackie was $100 more per unit. We had $400 to spend, so went with two of the 205's

Had them for almost a year with no issues.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I am discounting the Behringer. I own 3 Behringer speakers, 1 powered, 2 passive. The passive ones are adequate, the active one I can't stand. No more Behringers for me!

The Mackie is $249, the Galaxy $299.

RustyAxe

(And I'm still avoiding the Behringer unit. I already own one Behringer powered speaker and two passive ones, besides my Yamaha mainstays. I'm just not that into them.)
Well it's your money .. but the Mackies don't outperform the Behringers, and are quite a bit less expensive.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom