Powered Speaker/Monitor Options for Small Music Room

73PeterD

Hey Guys,
Finally looking to upgrade my 18'x11' music room area in the basement with a mixer and some powered monitors. My goal is to be able to sing and play acoustic and electric guitar, mic'ed up occasionally as necessary, record via USB from the mixer, and play along or just listen to music from my phone and/or computer. For the mixer, I am looking at the Yamaha MG10XU. I am assuming that the mixing of any of my recordings would be done through headphones, so I am not concerned about spending too much $$ for monitors with flat response. I don't get nearly enough time to play music so I don't need the top of the line anything to make this work - just reliable speakers without too much noise that I can have fun with on a purely recreational level. Any and all ideas are very much welcome.
Thanks!

GuitarKidd

I have the mixer you're looking at. It's great for what it is. However, I've been having issues with the recording levels. I'm using a fully updated 2014 iMac with Garageband. The MG10 is class compliant, so the Mac immediately recognizes the mixer for recording. My problem however, is this. If i'm recording guitar, I can see the signal strength going into the track. However, regardless of the signal strength, the playback of the recorded track is extremely low. I've searched online, and can find instances where people are having the same issues, typically with Windows however. I can't find a way to fix my issue. The mixer does have a USB attenuate control, but it was already set to 0db and can only be reduced at that point.

The MG is a solid little mixer, but if you're using a MAC, I might look at another option if I were you. I think there are solutions for Window's users as Window's allows you to control input levels, no so such thing for Mac users.

73PeterD

Thanks for the info Kidd! Aggh, and I thought the mixer was the easy part of my decision..Maybe I will need to do more research into that as well. Do you mic up your setup when recording or do you just run the Helix with an IR directly into the mixer? I suppose with the helix there is no reason to even use the mixer if you don't want, obviously you can go right into your Mac via USB. Wondering if the low recording levels through the mixer would be the same either way.. with mics or direct. I have an old m-audio interface, I struggled getting enough signal into my computer (windows 10 based, btw) with that too.. I had to turn the gain all the way up for my sm57s. I have read that some of the smaller/cheaper interfaces have less than ideal mic pre-amps, hoping that wouldn't be the case with the Yamaha MG. Do you have powered speakers to listen to any of your work?

Trending Topics