Powered Subs for my church

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Benjam226, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

Our contemporary service has been using a jimmy-rigged system since I got there in 2010 and I am trying to slowly tweak it. It's time to look at the speakers. Currently we're using two JBL powered 1x15's on tripods at stage left and right, two passive Yorkville 1x15's flown center stage angled outward left and right, and a passive homemade 2x15 subwoofer that sits stage right and sounds awful.

The JBL's are getting full range coming from the stereo sends from the board (Studiolive 24.4.2). The mono send is going to a crossover and splitting the highs to the flown Yorkvilles and the lows to the sub.

Our service is held in our gymnasium. The stage is built into the wall on the side in the center, and we have these two HUGE thick curtains that are on motorized tracks that split the gym into thirds, and we play to the middle third.

This really helps the sound a lot and it doesn't sound like a gym, but rather a small club. We seat about 250 chairs.

My goal was to invest in the new Yamaha DSR system. I was planning to get two DSR 118 powered subs for stage left and right, using them with the JBL's, until I can replace them with two DSR 215 powered mains stacked on the subs.

I'm at the point where it's time to get the subs, but I'm taking a last minute look around to see if there's anything better for my money. I've already A/B'ed the DSR's next to JBL's powered series, and the Yamaha's blow them out of the water, so I don't want the JBL's.

I came across Carvin's LS series. They have powered 118 subs for half the price of the DSR's ($499 vs. $999). The only diff I see is the DSR's are 800w and the LS series is 700w. Not sure how much a difference that is. All the reviews of the LS series seem to be good. Anyone with experience with these?

2. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

What don't you like about your 2x15?

I'm using Carvin LS tops and am really impressed for their price. I'm planning on getting the LS powered sub as well. I've used the passive version and was impressed with the sound, and they seem to be a copy of the Yamahas. (Most carvin stuff is a copy of something) The subs handle well, and I've tried the powered version at one or two gigs and I remember that they put out way more than we needed and they felt very heavy duty. The LS series is made of wood, and I believe the subs are as well.

3. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I don't have 2x15's, I have 1x15's. I'm trying to get away from the tripods which have be be set up a few feet in front of the stage area (we have to move them back and forth every week so people can use the gym.) I'm hoping the subs and 2x15's will look nicer and stack in a place where we don't have to move them.

4. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

I'm asking about this:

5. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

Ahh i misunderstood. First off, the construction of the cabinet itself isn't great. It wobbles, the jacks are poorly fastened, and the sound quality is very muddy. I know the first two issues are probably simple fixes, but I'd just rather have a good quality unit (or two) that are made well, and have good customer support.

6. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Carvin is excellent. I bought a pair of the passive 18" subs because they were on sale on carvin's ebay page. Sometimes they go on sale, two for $499 so that might help if you're looking for a deal, since you have an amp already, unless you're planning to ditch that one.

7. modulusman

modulusman Member

Which JBLs did you compare? The PRX 618S XLF is lighter and goes lower than the Yamaha.

8. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I don't remember. They were right beside the Yamaha's. The guys in the store had been A/B'ing them all day long. They looked a tiny bit smaller. They had the JBL's powered all the way up, and the Yamaha's at about half power and the Yamaha's were about twice as loud.

9. daveg62

daveg62 Member

Take a look at Yorkville subs. I've got the NX720S and it's a great sub, no regrets on that one.

10. loudboy

loudboy Member

2x15/HF boxes are probably the worst things made, for PA. They're huge, they don't go low enough to get any real thump and they don't reproduce instruments/vocals well.

You could save money and your back by going with a smaller top box and some good subs.

11. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

I'm surprised you liked the DSR sub. I thought the DSR toPs were great, but the subs not so much. Im generally not a fan of most of the powered subs in the MI level market, but the contenders I would be looking at are the JBL PRX (maybe you were listening to an EON sub?), a QSC KW181, or maybe the Yorkville stuff.

12. modulusman

modulusman Member

This. ^

13. modulusman

modulusman Member

I bet it was an Eon sub or maybe just the PRX 618 They are the same price as the yamahas but are not as loud at least on paper. Although I have never heard the PRX 618sxlfs the reviews on them have been good. They also cost $300.00 more.

14. eschoendorff

eschoendorff Member

I've got a Carvin PA system and I really like it. I wouldnot hesitate to purchase the LS powered sub (in fact, I plan to get one for myself someday).