Powerful Fuzz

Herb Utsmelz

'Tis what 'tis
Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious to see some suggestions for a very full and powerful sounding fuzz that isn't a Muff. Looking for decent clarity, mids, and a fuzz character rather than borderline distortion/OD thing. Muff circuits don't work well with my rig (Les Paul and overdriving Marshall clone).

Steer me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Empros

Retro Mechanical Labs Electron Fuzz.
There is no single more massive and
imposing fuzz on the planet. Yeah,
I said that. ;)

Check out our @wrightdude 's riffage
with it. :dude

He said he didn't want a distortion-y fuzz ;)

I'd say Analogman Sunface - BC183. Pretty strong sounding fuzz without being too imposing.
If you want something stronger/cutting, Basic Audio Wildcat is LOUD, strong, wall of sound type of thing. Not a Muff, either.

Herb Utsmelz

'Tis what 'tis
Silver Supporting Member

I'd say Analogman Sunface - BC183. Pretty strong sounding fuzz without being too imposing.
If you want something stronger/cutting, Basic Audio Wildcat is LOUD, strong, wall of sound type of thing. Not a Muff, either.
I forgot about the Wildcat. I'm kind of a BA fanboy so maybe I should check into that one haha.

la noise

You clearly didn't spend enough time with the
Electron to get that it is indeed a "fuzz." ;)

kor

Retro Mechanical Labs Electron Fuzz.
There is no single more massive and
imposing fuzz on the planet. Yeah,
I said that. ;)

Check out our @wrightdude 's riffage
with it. :dude

I've been so close to pulling trigger on one of these for the last year or two. I think the time is about here! :JAM

Empros

Don't let @Empros convince you it is
just a distortion-y pedal at best. It
is way more than just that @kor . :dude

It's in my Top 5 of All-Time Fuzzes.
La Noise drinks PBR - can you guys really trust him? ;)

The Electron is a great fuzz. Really great! I did find it a bit distortion-y, which I liked. But it just wasn't for me. Still a great option.

Herb Utsmelz

'Tis what 'tis
Silver Supporting Member
La Noise drinks PBR - can you guys really trust him? ;)

The Electron is a great fuzz. Really great! I did find it a bit distortion-y, which I liked. But it just wasn't for me. Still a great option.
I like PBR too!

Herb Utsmelz

'Tis what 'tis
Silver Supporting Member
But everyone who knows anything knows
BIG enclosure = BIG sound. ;)

Even @Empros and I can agree on this. :aok
I kicked some stuff off my board to account for size. I found a Swollen Pickle yesterday so that should be a decent starting point I suppose. I have a modded BA Foxey Lady arriving today. It was adjusted to battle some of the Muff qualities I don't like so maybe it will be the ticket.

Trending Topics