powering a NKT75 sunface???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strat71, Aug 13, 2008.

1. strat71

strat71 Member

Hi
    i read that you should use non-alcaline batteries to power a old school fuzz like the sunface...

i wonder if using a sagged output of a voodoo lab pedal power 2 plus can provide the same classic fuzz sound?? at how much voltage should i put the power output???
    anyone tried that? my pedal board is power with the PP2+...

another question: is it ok to add a led to a classic fuzz like that?? why is the sunface available without led stock (unless wanted...)

Thanks
    Ben

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

The Analogman website talks about why he thinks one should use a cheap non-alkaline battery. He has a sound clip comparing 2 types of battery power. Not a major difference but noticeable.

3. HighSpeedSpoon

HighSpeedSpoon Member

Ditto on the Analog, and the non-alkaline route is both simple and cheap. Check for yourself, but as I recall, (Analog) Mike Piera says the Voodoo labs is okay, but you need special cable - for 9V center negative I think. It's really important to be sure you have a proper cable if you go the Voodoo route. Check with Mike. Oh yeah, and if it were me and I was using batteries, I'd get the on/off option.

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I for one DO thin it's a pretty big difference and FWIW, I also HATE using a power supply to power my AM Modded NKT275 Fuzz Face...I had Mike install a DC jack on it even thought he suggested against it and he was right it just doesn;t sound very good when powered with a power supply...stick to low buck batteries...I buy mine at the dollar store or someplace like Big Lots for 2 for a dollar and they last forever!!!

5. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

i had the dc jack installed and much prefer using batteries, i then went the route of having the switchbale pot installed but it has a different taper and i wasn't into it... So finally i had a micro switch installed where the dc lack was to switch the battery off... All pedal makers who think that their pedals sound better with batteries should do this by default! I highly recommend it!

6. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I uses a cheap 9v battery too. I replaced the gain pot to one with an on/off provision so I would not eat the battery when not in use (while installed on the board).