• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Powering a Yamaha MagicStomp

kp8

I need a replacement power supply for my Yamaha MagicStomp II. I am having a hard time finding the exact specs but have gotten pretty close. I am not sure if the "input part" matters much beyond having the right voltage (does the wattage matter?).

I have pretty much given up on finding a 100V-220V but would love that since I use this Yamaha in two countries (one is 110V and one is 220v) and I hate carrying the transformer around to every gig. It is my only piece of gear that is 110V only. So 110v-220v would be great but I somehow doubt that I'll be able to find one. I would certainly settle for a good 110V replacement.

The Yamaha Power wall wart says:

Yamaha MODEL NO: AC-10 (A12-10-1000)
PLUG IN CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER

INPUT: 120V 60Hz 25W
OUTPUT: 12VAC 1000mA

Note that this is 12VAC ( Not DC !).
The plug appears to be a 5.5x2.1mm barrel connector, center negative.

This one is probably the closest in spec. The only difference I see is that it is labeled 30W and not 25.

http://www.apogeekits.com/12v_ac_power_adapter.htm

Here is a belkin adapter that is close as well but is 20W:
http://www.macmall.com/p/Belkin-Power-Adapters/product~dpno~939777~pdp.jjiicd

This one doesn't give all the info that the others do:
http://www.unicornelex.com/detail.php?itemno=13-2520&&PHPSESSID=d24a96328f5204bf2482b3342ee81402

This one also looks close (and looks smaller than the others) but again the Wattage is off. This one is only 16.5

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=10081

Does the wattage matter that much? Looks like the first might be the best one.

Are there regulation and filtering issues?

I know that some manufactures swear (and yamaha is no different) that you must use their power supply and theirs only, I know in some cases folks have found this to be true (the unit will run with a 3rd party power supply but will be noisy etc.)

Is anyone successfully running the Yamaha MagicStomp on a non Yamaha powerbrick?

You can also order the part from Yamaha, but these power supplies are all around $10. Yamaha wants almost $50 plus shipping, that is a lot of scratch and …. and I could buy a replacement and a backup or 2 for less. The Yamaha seems like a gouge at $45.26.

PS there are also a ton of them on ebay, but the specs on those also are inexact and it is not clear to me that they would really work.

I ask all this because I don't understand much about electricity and I know some folks here are big DIY gear heads. I'll probably ask on the MagicStomp Yahoo groups as well.

-kp--

fly135

12VAC and 1000ma or higher is all you care about. The watts is not really relevant or even that accurate.

12V AC @ 1000ma is 12 watts. If one uses 30 watts and the other uses 20 watts, then that implies that the first one is less efficient. But I doubt it. They probably just needed a number, such that it wouldn't use more than that amount.

Regulation could be an issue, but there is really no way to know the regulation required. I could measure the unloaded output from one of mine and let you know what it is.

Again the wattage is not important. The last one had an unloaded voltage of 15V. The first one had an unloaded voltage of 13.7V. The unloaded voltage may not be important.

John Thigpen

Gold Supporting Member
I have an actual Yamaha Magicstomp power supply. I shipped my MS to New Zealand and he couldn't use the power supply. Oops - sorry. It's no longer available.

John

Last edited:
I have an actual Yamaha Magicstomp power supply. I shipped my MS to New Zealand and he couldn't use the power supply. PM or e-mail me.

John
Wow I wish I had started this thread when my supply broke on friday. I've been looking at all kinds of different options (pedal power AC maybe?), but I was really hoping I could find someone who had an original they didn't need.

So has anyone tried any of those supplies from ebay?
I'm tentative about buying anything from these suppliers in Hong Kong.

kp8

I have an actual Yamaha Magicstomp power supply. I shipped my MS to New Zealand and he couldn't use the power supply. Oops - sorry. It's no longer available.

John
I emailed you right after this appeared? What happened? Did you lose it or just flip it to someone else?

Top Bottom