Powering down pedals

bschmoove

Just curious.
Do y'all turn off power completely to your pedals or does leaving them "on" all the time hurt. They are off, just not unplugged at the master source.
They are on surge protectors.

your name here

Gold Supporting Member
I always unplug all of my gear from the wall when not in use. Better safe than sorry. I lost an XBox 360 to a surge once, and it was plugged into what I believed at the time to be a decent surge protector (a Monster Pro 2000).

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
My surge protector has an on/off switch, I turn it off when I'm done playing. I wouldn't want to have my power supply running 24 hrs a day, if that is what you are saying, it has to kill the lifespan of the supply.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
If I am not playing, gear is in cases headed to the next gig or rehearsal.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I got home from a gig at 2:30 this morning.

My pedal board is in the back of my truck awaiting the next gig. Hopefully I unplugged it before I left the venue. :D

Last edited:

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Everything in my music room is isolated with fused power strips and fused (double breakers actually) all sockets. I turn the power to my pedal board off though when I turn the lights out and close the door.

aaronmcoleman

Don't leave them plugged in all the time. Even with the LED off, the circuit is getting power in most designs. Some of the components (like electrolytic caps) have a lifespan that is vastly reduced by keeping power to them all the time.

1) I don't see any advantage to leaving them on all the time
2) I see A LOT of disadvantages to leaving them on all the time.

coltonius

Señor Member
When it comes to electricity, I always ask this question: How would you like it if someone turned you on and just walked away?

Board gets unplugged and stored, amp gets unplugged from surge protector. My daughter likes to twist knobs and flip switches; she's been known to power up my amp when not under close supervision.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Don't leave them plugged in all the time. Even with the LED off, the circuit is getting power in most designs. Some of the components (like electrolytic caps) have a lifespan that is vastly reduced by keeping power to them all the time.

1) I don't see any advantage to leaving them on all the time
2) I see A LOT of disadvantages to leaving them on all the time.
^^ this. I always switch off and unplug.

GTBJ

I turn it all off at the wall, and again at the master killswitch I had installed - which covers all power outlets in that room.

JPF

I physically unplug my power source and amps from the outlets whenever I'm not using them. I had my 5 year old iMac get fried a couple of weeks ago during an electrical storm. It was plugged into the surge protector which I'd left plugged into the wall socket. So much for 100% fall proof surge protection...

The only silver lining is that my homeowners' insurance is paying for roughly half of the cost of my new replacement iMac, and I can now run Apple Logic Pro X...;)

goodhonk

When not in use i unplug everything, disconnect all cables, and place back in their original boxes.

Trending Topics