Powering my Nano

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeNiteRail, Jun 3, 2015.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I am trying to squeeze one pedal too many and starting to get some white noise/hiss on my Nano. I am trying to run:

Strymon Lex
    Zoom 100BT
    Tech 21 Blonde
    Zoom CDR70

I am using a One Spot with Daisy chain, and if I understand correctly, it can handle 1700mA. My board is pushing around 1500mA assuming the high end.

An isolated power supply would be best, but my options seem minimal, and from what I've seen (Volto, Ciosk) of those that will fit, they won't cover the needed mA.

I didn't get to trouble shoot much, and am hoping the Zoom ZNR will get rid of the hiss/white noise. Any thoughts or options that won't require a bigger board? In the future, I'd ideally mod this board to undermount a wirelss - but maybe would have to ditch, again, one of the Zoom pedals.

Thanks!

2. SmallStones

SmallStones Supporting Member

I wouldn't normally blame white noise on the power supply. My advice would be to figure out which pedal is the culprit and then try the board with using another wall wart just for that pedal to see if isolating the power helps. If it does, given that you can't find an isolated multi-pedal PS that is both small enough and powerful enough for the whole board, I'd just run two One Spots. If that doesn't do it you can add a noise reducer. I realize the board is full but a NR pedal maybe wouldn't need to be accessible since it may be always on, it could be on top of your amp or something. If you don't like that you're down to living with the hiss or looking for an alternative to the pedal that is causing the issue. Hope this is helpful.

3. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I use a Volto to power my Nano w/5 pedals+ a wireless, or my Mini with 7 pedals+ a wireless. I've had no problems, but perhaps my pedals aren't drawing the mA's yours do. I do get some hiss/white noise, but that's only when I kick in my OD's. If the band is cooking it's not noticeable. I just have to shut the OD's down, or hit my tuner at the end of a song.

4. feet

feet Supporting Member

some pedals just don't like to be chained, man. if you have a 9v wall wart, you could try powering them one at a time and see what that does to the hiss. does the lex have its own power cable? try that. its how i troubleshoot my larger boards, too, seeing which pedals can be chained and which need their own isolated power. some pedals are just assholes.

i use a fuel tank jr with my nano, but the flint on there always uses its own power cable. i had a one spot before and i don't even think the flint worked with it. that solved my noise problems.

as for the nano mods, a set of footies should cover you. just glue them over the existing feet if you don't want to drill the rivets out.

edit- that's basically what smallstones said, so yes, that.

5. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

6. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

It is pretty quiet - only noise I get is the "digital hiss" that the MS-100bt gives off (which is subtle). And yes you do need that cable (can get it from Voodoo Lab).