Powering Nova delay

David-R

Silver Supporting Member
Does the Nova work with a power pump?
Yes - I use a Godlyke Powerall with a power pump set to 12v. It works fine. Just be careful that you don't accidentally have the power pump on 18 or 24v because you will fry the Nova.

voxer

has anyone even tried the PPII with the boss aca switch engaged to provide the nova delay 12 volts dc? sure, it's supplied with an adapter that can output 300mA, but does anyone know the pedal's actual draw yet? jim

powering pedals with the wrong voltage can sometimes cause eventual problems ( I've had this happen to me ).

Also - using an adapter thats putting out 1700 vma's ( when your pedal only needs a hundred or something )....can sometimes cause long term damage as well.

Just a warning...........it may be fine but i would be cautious.
One: A power supply does not put out current - it can only allow current through. Current is drawn by the devices attached to a power supply - the power supply does not "push" the current. So if an attached device draws 300ma, then the power supply will only provide 300ma, even if it CAN produce 1700ma.

Two: While many older and vintage pedals are indeed very sensitive to voltage variations, many modern DC pedals have voltage regulation built in. Digital pedals REQUIRE substantial voltage regulation. As such, they can accept a wide range of voltages at the input with few-to-no ill effects.

Knowing this: I have been running a Nova Delay off a 9v tap from a PedalPower II unit for months with no problems.

A noteable exception to this is ElectroHarmonix, who puts regulation in their AC adapters and keeps it out of many of their pedals. If you have an EH pedal, use the EH power supply that goes with it.

vinni

Hi Godinman,

I have the Nova delay too and discovered the same thing.
The adapter/power seems to cause a lot of noise.

I have a Pedalpower2 (not the +-version)
Is it possible to use the PP2 as a powersupply for the Nova?
If so....how do I connect the two?

Vinni

Axe_78th

Gold Supporting Member
Yes - I use a Godlyke Powerall with a power pump set to 12v. It works fine. Just be careful that you don't accidentally have the power pump on 18 or 24v because you will fry the Nova.
I tried a Godlyke Power Pump with my Nova. I got added noise from it. I used it with a One Spot and not a Godlyke Powerall if that makes any difference. Currently I'm using a One Spot 12 volt( their wireless adapter. had to reverse the polarity of it.) and getting good results with the Nova

voxer

I tried it off the higher mA "Line6" output of my PPII and it sounded just fine. In Boss ACA 12VDC mode, it wouldn't completely boot up, so I definitely don't think the PPII can keep up on a 100mA output.

vinni

Hi Voxer,

What output on the PP2 did you use?
(I don't have the + version b.t.w.....and I don't know what the differences are)

Vinni

godinman

Hi Vinni sorry I don't know about the PP2 because it seemed like an expensive option when I could get a powerstation for a third of the money. You just have to be sure that your power supply can give you 300mA and then your nova will run nice and quiet. I am convinced that a lot of the noise issues with the nova are power supply related.

voxer

Hi Voxer,

What output on the PP2 did you use?
(I don't have the + version b.t.w.....and I don't know what the differences are)

Vinni
I tried the Line6 output...but my PPII isn't going to fit under my pedalboard, so I will be running a boss psa off my tuner for most of my pedals and the nova off it's own ac adapter.

I'm probably going to open up the Nova when it gets here and put a meter on it to get the actual DC voltage and draw and end this speculation of internal voltage regulation and such.

BillyK

I've been using the provided adapter and it works beautifully and dead quiet too. I've got an available port on my PP2, but frankly plugging the Nova in the convience outlet on the PP2 is no biggie at this point.

RickB

I had emailed Voodoo Labs about powering the Nova (and my KR Mega Vibe) off of the PP2 and here is what they had to say in the event anyone finds it useful. :D

Hi, Rick!

Here are the general capabilities of the 8 Pedal Power 2 outputs:
With the DIP switch in the normal/off position, all 8 outputs supply
9VDC @ 100mA.

With the DIP switch away from normal/on -
Outputs 1 - 4 (ACA mode) supply 12.3VDC @ a little less than 100mA.
Outputs 5 & 6 (L6) - the voltage is unregulated. These outputs are meant
specifically for powering Line6 Digital Modeling effects.
Outputs 7 & 8 (SAG mode) - supply 100mA; Enables the SAG control,
allowing you to turn the voltage down from 9VDC to 4.5VDC. The knobs are
activated once the switch is on, allowing you to lower the voltage,
simulating power failure. (Turn it fully clockwise for the highest voltage.)

The capabilities of the Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs are the same, except
on outputs 5 and 6. When the DIP switch is set in the normal/off
position on these outputs, the Pedal Power 2 Plus offers 9VDC at just
over 250 mA of current. (This change was made so that the Pedal Power 2
Plus would be capable of powering the Boss Twin pedals.)

The second difference between the Pedal Power 2 and 2 Plus is that the
Pedal Power 2 Plus performs well when used via a voltage converter when
overseas. It's more rugged. The transformer doesn’t get hot at 50hz.

So, with either the Pedal Power 2 or 2 Plus you get 12VDC and a little
less than 100mA of current from outputs one through four when their DIP
switches are set away from normal. The TC Electronics Nova Delay
requires more current than that and will need to be powered via the
Courtesy AC Outlet on the back of your Pedal Power 2 or 2 Plus. However,
it is possible that the KR Musical Products Mega Vibe could be powered
with one of those front outputs. I am not certain of the current draw of
the Mega Vibe. You could try it and see if it works. As long as you
provide the pedal with the correct voltage, it will not harm your pedal
or the Pedal Power 2 Plus if it needs more current than can be provided
by the Pedal Power 2 Plus. It would just make your PP2+ hum or shut off.

Multiple devices can be powered from the Courtesy AC Outlet by use of a
power strip, so long as you don't exceed 200 watts.

I'm happy to help if you have further questions.

VEstrada

after reading this yesterday I fooled around with my nova and my PP2 and I got it to power up on the L6 channels and it sounded fine. I kept it there for about 5 minutes and it didn't turn off or anything so I might try it the next time I play and see what happens when I keep it in longer. I'll let you know.

Trending Topics