Powering Nova delay

vinni

after reading this yesterday I fooled around with my nova and my PP2 and I got it to power up on the L6 channels and it sounded fine. I kept it there for about 5 minutes and it didn't turn off or anything so I might try it the next time I play and see what happens when I keep it in longer. I'll let you know.
Great!,
Yeah....please let us know.

Thnks,

Vinni

voxer

I made all my presets at home off the PPII's Line 6 output, messing with it for over an hour with no problems.

hbentley

hmmm...i think i'm gonna try the line6 output with my nova reverb. i'm super tired of having a pedalboard that's all together and still having to set up 3 walarts at every gig (eventide, nova reveb, and pog).

RickB

Has anyone contacted TC Electronic and asked them if they had an official stance on powering the Nova's with the PP2's? As per my post above, Voodoo Lab's told me it was a no no. But people are getting it to work. I would just hate to find out down the road that it was a bad idea! :cool:

hbentley

i'm sure trex would tell you it's a no no....they want you to buy the trex fuel tank (it has 12v outs)

voxer

I specifically asked TC's tech support the direct question of how much (in mA's) the Nova Delay actually draws, but they just gave me the run around. I opened the pedal up to put a meter on it internally, but it's pretty much impossible to get to anything without turning the thing into a wasteland of parts...so no go there. I thought their reply was kinda lame:

Dear Jim,
Thank you for your mail
In any case, you should always use a 300mA power supply with the Konnekt. Lower than that and you are risking to under power the unit.

..:: Rune - TC support ::..

They even got the product wrong though I know I selected Nova pedals...I'm fine if they want me to power the unit with 300 mA for overhead, safety, etc. Even tell me it will void the warranty if I don't, but I'd appreciate them at least answering my question, too. In the past, I've emailed Barber, Fulltone, RMC, and Seymour Duncan and they were all happy to answer the same question about their products I own.

All in all, I'll be running off the ac adapter under my board, simply because I was able to secure it under there.

VEstrada

Here's my update from earlier. I've had the Nova powered up from the PP2 (Line 5 on normal) for about 2 hours and it seems to be fine. Nothing is weird about it and it's working just the way it should.

I'm glad its working but I'm also keeping a close eye on it to make sure nothing weird happens to it. Although since it's a 9v supply I don't think it could fry the pedal cause from the limited amount that I know about this stuff it has to be more power to fry the pedal. Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

VEstrada

Dear Jim,
Thank you for your mail
In any case, you should always use a 300mA power supply with the Konnekt. Lower than that and you are risking to under power the unit.

..:: Rune - TC support ::..
If you under power the pedal wont it just shut off or not work?

VEstrada

Alright, so I left my Nova plugged in for about 12 hours today and it did fine. I played it about every hour and nothing happened. Am I alone in this or am I just lucky? All I know is I'm gonna keep riding this gravy train cause I like where it's takin' me.

radcliff

So you're giving a pedal that says it wants 300mA at 12v, only 250mA at 9v?

Lemme know how it goes for another week....hmm

godinman

Hi guys just an update on my progress . I have been running my NOVA on a diago power station since I started this thread. have gigged 10 times and messed in the house for hours. No problems at all. The NOVA does def not need 12 V. The power station is 9V but will give up to 3000mA. I think that is the key issue the power supply must be able to give the amps. I know that people think the PP2 is the best thing since going but seriously have a look at the diago power station. It is around 50 bucks and will power all your pedals without hum guarenteed or James will give you your money back. It is smaller than a PP2 will power more pedals and works anywhere around the word and it will save all the problems of flicking switches and running cables in tandem.

To me its a no brainer I know it means daisy chaining effects but honestly the thing is dead quiet. I have sound guys all the time commenting on how quiet my rig is even with some fairly heavy duty dirt pedals. Have a look at it. I am certain that the noise issues some people are experiencing with the NOVA is down to its power supply. The minute I switched the minute I feel in love with the pedal. Give the powerstation a go you will not be disappointed. www.diago.co.uk

hbentley

i used it last night for a couple hours at a rehearsal with the line6 out on a pp2+. i had zero issues....no noise, no lag when switching settings, and i saved a new preset.

Oh yeah, I've just picked one up secondhand with a bulky (non-original) pwoer supply and would love to run it off an ADL Juicebox v2.

vinni

Hmm....

I'm gonna connect the Nova to my PP2 today.
Just see what happens.

I don't have any gigs for the moment so now is the time.

Vinni

MoPho

Pho Shizzle
Silver Supporting Member
Bump...would like to see this conversation continue for this electronically risk averse individual. I would love to simplify my power situation with the PP2+ investment I made. Thanks guys for taking the leap and please be sure to include in your comments:

Power supply modek (PP2 or PP2+)
Output # (1-8)
Switch setting (normal or not normal)

:BEER

voxer

Mine is the PPII, with output 5 or 6 switched to "not normal", which on the PPII, gives unregulated 9VDC....btw...I saved all of my presets that way.

radcliff

So let me get this straight...

Everyone that is having success with this is using a PP2+ with the Line6 setting set to take the Line6 pedals, instead of set to off, which is the setting for the Boss Twin pedals.

So let me get this straight...

Everyone that is having success with this is using a PP2+ with the Line6 setting set to take the Line6 pedals, instead of set to off, which is the setting for the Boss Twin pedals.
I used a plain old 9v output from a PedalPad PowerPad II with the Nova for a month or so and it worked great.

Trending Topics