powering older DOD pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ziad, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Ziad

Ziad Member

Howdy!
    I ran a search but couldn't find a thread on this.
    Does someone here know if older DOD pedals can be powered normally, or if they are like the old Boss pedals that need to be daisy chained?
    I just got a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+, and I use my old Boss pedals on one of outputs 1-4 on the PP with the switch set away from normal, as the instructions stipulate. Do I need to do the same with my DOD pedals?
    any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

l'm not sure what you mean by normally. They need 9 volts, but have the bigger jacks than the Boss style which have become standard. The polarity is reversed also.
    Just use the adapters like the ones made by One Spot, or use batteries.
    I've also seen those adapters on ebay. Search "DOD effect pedals".

3. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

By the way, what old DOD pedals are you using?

I love DOD. Two that are always on the board I use at church (acoustic), are a Milk Box and an fx10 bifet preamp. I also have a gray 280 comp, an fx20b phaser, an fx 75b flanger, an fx60 chorus, a YJM308 od , a Mystic Blues od, and a yellow od 250. The 250 was modded with a Boss style power jack and led.
    The flanger and chorus are quite good, and I sometimes swap off my tremolo for one of them.

4. Ziad

Ziad Member

thank you s much for your response, 65ChampAmp!

I am completely dense when it comes to the technical stuff with electricity. Ampers, volts, DC/AC, polarity...it's all Greek to me!

I did not mean just the attachment that converts the standard plug into a male plug.
    By "normally" I meant with the common power supplies of today, or to be precise with the outlets of the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ with the little dip-switches set to "normal."

In other words, is DOD subject to a similar situation to the older Boss pedals' ACA vs PSA adapters?--for that matter, does tho sappily to older pedals by other manufactures, like vintage electro harmonic pedals? Ibanez? The only vintage MXR pedals I am aware of could only be powered by battery or an attached cord, but... MXR?

I know there's a friendly DOD/Digitech guy who posts here (I enjoy his posts), maybe he'll chime in?

5. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

I power mine off my PP2+ on normal, using the 1/8"-style jack adaptor. Works fine for me.

6. Ziad

Ziad Member

thanks for your responses guys.

65ChampAmp, I have two old delays, one analog (but), and one digital (darker blue--almost purple).
    The analog delay sounds stupidly good!
    I think the digital one is broken, because it doesn't really do repeats, but it sort of creates a chorus-y reverb effect that warms up the tone. I love it.
    I also have a grey 250 preamp clone (the byoc one) re-housed in one of the 90's yellow reissues enclosures. It's my favorite dirt with my fender blues jr. And the yellow never fails to cheer me up. like a tiny retro sun on my pedal board lol.

There's also an American Metal that I bought for almost nothing as a joke and that sounds like crap most of the time, but occasionally, with the right guitar/amp and other pedals, it sounds rather good! I don't use it enough to have figured out what the right recipe for it to work is, but when it does, it's like a good Rat.
    I really love DOD pedals both for nostalgic silly reasons, and for their sound!
    oh, and I also have a Digitech grunge that I also bought used for like $7 to use as a doorstop-literally. But I try it every now and then at home when I'm bored, and I think it's a grossly misunderstood pedal. Seriously! it's a pain to dial in to get rid of that "teenager spanking on a line6 at guitar center" sound, but when the stars aline, it's decent. But then again, as someone probably wiser than me once said, with enough time you could get a usable sound out of almost anything, and I can get to the useable sound of the Grunge faster using something else like a muff.

Can your flanger do a good Police sound?

7. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

You can find most of the original DOD pdf's online for free download.
    If you read the pdf for each effect you have, it will specify which particular AC power supply is required to run it.
    Different effects require different power supplies supplying various voltages and ma's.
    Some give 9.6v at 150ma's.
    Some give 11v at 50ma's.
    I believe there are some others.

So...yes, you can probably run them all at 9v and safely get away with it, but I don't think you will be getting peak performance unless you look up your specific device and see what kind of power it requires and give it that. Depending on what you specifically have, you could overload the max ma's on a given circuit and stress your ps, so I would never just willy-nilly plug a bunch of effects into an outlet without knowing the sum total of ma's they will draw and the max supply of that outlet.

I run a 75b flanger, a 65 chorus, and a 40b EQ.
    The 75 and 65 both call for the PS3, which is 11v/50ma.
    The 40b calls for the PS125 which is 10v/125ma.

I'm not trying to overcomplicate it, but honestly, the only way to get peak performance is to read about what you have so you know what to feed it.
    I run all of mine at 12v since I have the option and they all seem to operate better for it, especially the 40b, flipping the switch from 9v to 12v makes a big difference in it's performance.

So 2 basic takeaways:
    Yes you can run them all at 9v, but possibly not get peak performance out of some of them.
    You should not daisy-chain effects together without knowing the sum total of ma's they need and making sure the outlet you're using can supply that much.

I use my flanger more for Gilmour, but if you check the video out below, he gets great Police tones out of the chorus, not the flanger. I'll also say that the DOD owners manuals are really worth reading, there's information in there that can help you really dial them in nice and only takes a few minutes to read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ziad

Ziad Member

awesome, thanks Drak!