Powering Pedals - My thoughts & dilemma.

reaxis

Hi guys -

I'm setting up a new board set up to power around 12-14 pedals. I used to use a few ports on the PP2+ and just daisy chained them all. I was actively gigging previously so a little noise never really bothered me. But now I want to rework things and get things quiet, and reliable.

So i have 12-14 or so pedals. Most are boss 9v type, regular stompbox styles, whammy, etc. I don't have eventides, but maybe i will in the future- I would like flexibility for switching out pedals in the future that need more voltage.

I see people with the cae mc403, voodoo mondo, ciokolate - so that every pedal could have their own isolated port. That way is much better than the regular daisy chain route in my opinion - until I found "Y cables with ground lift." Sounds like the perfect solution. You get to power two pedals from one port, saving ports to power more pedals, while still avoiding ground loops in regular daisy chains. You can save money by using the pp2+ and ciok10 instead of going mondo, ciokolate.. etc.

1. Does anyone use the ground lift Y approach? I don't see this very often.

2. If you do use ground lift Y cables (to double the amount of ports) with a smaller power supply, then which would you recommend for flexibility in powering - ciok10, or pp2+?

3. If you don't recommend the Y cable approach- and need the big one - which do you recommend, ciokolate, 2 pp2+'s, the mondo, cae mc403?

Long post - but hopefully you guys can help me out with your insight.

twp

Likes guitars; loves music...
Platinum Supporting Member
Bump cuz I'm curious about grounding and hum too... Currently debugging my rig which is powered by mc403.

rck

The Mondo has been solid. I can def. recommend it.

I purchased some Voodoo Lab Output Splitter "Y" cables to use with the Mondo. I encountered a couple of problems when combining a particular digital pedal with a couple analog pedals and the digital pedal "browned" out.

I also have purchased Voodoo Lab Doubler cables to combine two output ports of the Mondo to power pedals that require more than 100 mA and have had zero probs with that approach.

Can't speak for any other supplies.

rck

oh, and I have powered 12 pedals at one time with the Mondo with 8 of the pedals requiring more than 100 mA.

plus the Mondo has the courtesy AC outlet as well (which I def use). So, the Mondo performs as advertised, it's for larger sized pedalboards. Not trying to sway you on your decision, but I'm glad I chose to drop the dough on her.

reaxis

RCK - how many pedals/what kind of pedals do you power - do you have a quick pic of your pedalboard?

TWP - You have mc403 - but still noise? are you still daisy chaining without ground lifted cables? have you tried ground lifted Y's? or does every one have its own power port? I thought that unit was pretty cool. Would you buy it again?

Last edited:

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
The MC-403 is a proven PSU but needs to be updated with today's power hungry digital effects. If your board is noisy using it, I would definitely check your patch cables and even your signal flow ass how pedals are arranged. Don't squarely summize it is the power supply.

If you are powering that many pedals (10-12or 14) a daisy chain power cable or a couple "Y" power cables can certainly work for your needs. Keep in mind, before just plugging in effects together, be aware of their power requirements. Low mA requirement pedals will more than likely be the ones to chain together. A tap will have a ceiling on the mA so make sure you do not exceed that mA ceiling on the tap. Chart your effects and jot down their power requirements: voltage, mA and even if they are analog or digital. Digital pedals do not do well chained, so avoid it if all possible.

rck

reaxis,

I can't get a freakin' photo to post on here correctly from photobucket...

my current pedal chain:

Vox Big Bad Wah (4mA) > Whammy IV (AC courtesy outlet used on Mondo) > Source Audio Pro Poly Mod (150mA) > Disaster Area DPC-5 (250mA) > Boss TU3 (30mA) > Wampler Ego Compressor (33mA) > TC Electronic VPD-1 (120mA) > Amptweaker FATROCK (28mA) > Digitech Istomp (150mA) > Creation Audio MK 4.23 (80 mA) > Strymon Mobius (300mA) > Eventide H9 (400mA 12v)

I also rotate two additional Digitech Istomps (150mA each) when I need a "stand-in" to temporary replace a pedal while I wait to receive a new one...or just use an Istomp as a different effect that I don't have as I like em'!

I also use a Source Audio Hot Hand Wah (200 mA) that I always leave off my board (b/c it is huge in size) and only use on occasion anyways.

So right now I could power 1-3 more pedals that require more than 100mA even with my current pedal chain.

I have not noticed any hum from using the Mondo in any combination of power cables including "doubler" and "spliter" cables...I had a particular digital pedal "brown" out as I mentioned in above post.

I hoped this helped and I adhered to the advice of previous poster who suggested you chart your pedals and what power requirements they have. I also chart what port each pedal uses on my Mondo so I never get confused and fry one of my babies.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Hi guys -

1. Does anyone use the ground lift Y approach? I don't see this very often.

2. If you do use ground lift Y cables (to double the amount of ports) with a smaller power supply, then which would you recommend for flexibility in powering - ciok10, or pp2+?

3. If you don't recommend the Y cable approach- and need the big one - which do you recommend, ciokolate, 2 pp2+'s, the mondo, cae mc403?

Long post - but hopefully you guys can help me out with your insight.

Depends on which pedals you are using.

1. I tried the Y approach (have a couple of the ground lift cables). It was too noisy for my taste.

2. I'd push for a Voodoo Labs 4x4 or a Cioks DC10 depending on the pedal needs. But for me-

3. The Voodoo Labs Mondo would be the best best.

I have Cioks DC10 and 4x4 under one board right now, and a 4x4 and a PP2+ under the other board. Both excellent and quiet setups.

J-Walk

I run a 4x4 and a PP2+ on my main board and it works perfect... the 4x4 runs off the courtesy outlet of the PP2+ and having two smaller power supplies gives me a little more flexibility on how I use the space under my board. I purchased right angle iec cables to keep things from sticking out of the back of my pt pro.

Here is a pic:

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
OP, how about listing your pedals and their power requirements? Is there a particular PSU that you have in mind, and what are you currently using to power your board?

reaxis

Depends on which pedals you are using.

1. I tried the Y approach (have a couple of the ground lift cables). It was too noisy for my taste.

2. I'd push for a Voodoo Labs 4x4 or a Cioks DC10 depending on the pedal needs. But for me-

3. The Voodoo Labs Mondo would be the best best.

I have Cioks DC10 and 4x4 under one board right now, and a 4x4 and a PP2+ under the other board. Both excellent and quiet setups.

Calltoarms - thank you for your input, and for everyone else for that matter.

You tried the Y approach for low analog pedals, and you got noise? interesting. So now you just go with the big boy mondo and give everyone their own plug. Hm, thank you for your thoughts.

Trending Topics