Powering Pedals Options

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Led Sabblin, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

I use a 1 spot now with 10 way daisy chain but I think its noisy and have heard the same thing. I know there's lots of options out thwere. What can you suggest me thats cheap. Dunlop DC Brick, Modtone? I would like something that can do 18 or 24v for memory man and option of ac or dc on a few of them

2. tander04

tander04 Member

the dc brick is essentially the same as daisy chaining because the outputs aren't isolated.

3. Madsen

Madsen Member

take inventory of your pedals & their individual power requirements, then go here
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

(18 or 24v is going to limit your options & increase cost)

4. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Why not go cordless and unplug from the wall. I use a VOLTZ on my main board and the Sanyo ENELOOP pedal on my back up / guest board.
    Rechargable clean power for 20+ hours on both.

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

There is no cheap option for what you are looking for as your pricepoint and power requirements will restrict your findings. If you are looking for a 24V power option, you will need to use a series "Y" power cable that will double the voltage between 2 taps, provided they have the 9/12V DIP switch option. 18V is also tricky, again the 9/12V DIP switch option w/ a series "Y" power cable requiring 2 taps or a PSU w/ a dedicated 18V tap. The AC taps are also limiting as there are a few that have the option and still provide a tap for 18V.

The CIOKS AC10 will get you what you are looking for, but then you will need to order/build some special cables to meet your needs. A few "Y" parallel power cables to power a couple pedals off of a tap or a daisy chain to power more than 2 effects. The series "Y" power cable for the 24V will take up 2 taps to achieve 18V or 24V and utilizing the DIP switch to get 24V, you will need. The Cioks AC10 atleast has the AC taps.

VL has the PP AC but is limited.

CAE/MXR MC-403 has the capabilities you are looking for, but is also pricey at $249 new. The Cioks is around $220 and the PP AC is in the $140 range I believe. The CAE MC-403 has 16 taps total: 4-18V, 8-9V, 2 variable volt taps, and 2-9VAC taps. It's a good and versatile unit but does take up space: 4" x 13.5" x 1.75" I have the 403 and it covers alot of powering needs.

There are other options, and as Stevil has mentioned, check out Andreas' website (Stinkfoot).

6. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

ok so to ask further; what would have isolated, per pedal out power. I can do without the 24 v option just figured they would have one out there with all the EHX pedals that are 24V. I see Pedaltrain has a new one coming out but am guessing it will be expensive

7. 13guitars

13guitars Member

Isolation is not necessary for every pedal. The latest version of the JuiceBox from pedalgear.net will do 24vdc.

8. jnepo1

PSUs with atleast 2-12V tap options like the VL PP2+ will be able to give you the 24V you need for EHX pedals. You will need a voltage doubler cable though.

9. dbun

dbun Member

Can highly recommend Cioks power supplies.

10. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I think your best option will be a Cioks AC-10 and a nice power strip.

11. jnepo1

Honestly, there is no need for the power strip if the OP decides to use the AC10 or the MC-403. The both have AC powering options, and as for the 24V EHX, a voltage doubler will achieve 24V.

12. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I didn't know the AC-10 would be able to handle 24v. Hence why I suggested the power strip. Thanks for schooling me jnepo, that's a good fact to know! :aok