1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

powering pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pickleweed, May 23, 2011.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

hey again guys. im on a mission to move away form my multi effects, and ive been on a pedal binge. as we all know, with pedals, come powering these lil bastards. i want to get away from the batteries for sheer convenience of it. im a bedroom guy if that makes any sort of difference. im looking to spend 150 or less (preferrably less). i need to power about 8 pedals, and at least one which os 18v. what do you guys recommend for me? pedal power 2 seems to be the top dog from what i can gather, but i dont see an 18v option on it....

2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

You sound like the perfect candidate for an Iso5... I power seven pedals and one tuner with my VL Iso5. It's got three separate 100 mA 9v outlets, one 300 mA 9/12v and one 100 mA 18v... all for just $109. You can daisy chain or get a Y cable to power more than five pedals... as I said already, I power eight total now using Y cables.

3. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the ISO 5. The 18 volt option really opens up the sounds of a few pedals ( MXR Carbon Copy Delay and Fulltone FD II)

4. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

how bad is it to daisy chain pedals? especially on the 18v?

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

This is a good option. Another would be a BBE Supa Charger, which is almost the same as the PP2+ with some exceptions (i.e. No courtesy outlet, 16v option on the BBE, etc.). As mentioned, you can get 18v by getting a series wired Y-cable from stomping ground, Musicians Friend, or VL themselves. This basically will double up the voltage draw from two outlets of the power supply and give you 18v.

6. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I use a daisychain. No problem. Mine are all 9v though.

7. Hugo Da Rosa

Daisy chaining pedals (for the most part, with a few exceptions) isn't a bad thing. There are several advantages to using an isolated power supply but if you are a bedroom player and your house isn't from the early 1920s, you shouldn't run into any noise issues daisy chaining.

The 18v pedal should definitely have its own power supply however. A lower voltage draw than what is needed will probably impede the full capacity of the pedal and potentially damage it (unless specified by the builder that it's ok). Your only drawback here is that you'll have to plug 2 things in. But among other things, that's not that bad.

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I use a Y on the 18v for two pedals, my Fatboost3 and Amp11. I have no noise issues at all. Both these are very low mA consumption pedals.

Delays and modulations tend to be higher consuming pedals. It's best to give them their own outlet or match them up with something low... for example, I had my Boss BD2 (9 mA) and my old Boss DD7 (55 mA) on a Y cable on one of the 9v outlets, they didn't even add up to 70 mA total combined.

EDIT... imho the OCD sounds better at 9v in HP mode depending on how you're using it (LP mode sounds great at 18v too if the gain is down). I'm not 100% sure the CC does 18v though. If you go with the Iso5 and don't have a 12v pedal, the OCD sounds great in both modes at 12v.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  9. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

both my 18v pedals are really optionally 18. its an ocd, and i wasnt aware my carbon copy even did 18. so thats 2. id like to max them out if i could, so theoretically daisy chaining off the 18v section should be good?

sorry, im really bad with the electronics of this stuff. i just wanna play :)

10. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

11. Hugo Da Rosa

No problem - I had a bit of a learning curve about all this stuff when I first hoped in TGP ;).

Theoretically, yes you should be fine. As long as the 18v pedals are getting their own power supply to provide the 18v, you can even daisy chain a few more on there, so long as they are all analog pedals (digital and analog pedals tend to not mix well when it comes to daisy chaining).

12. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

ISO-5. If you need the 18V outlet, I would suggest the ISO-5 over the BBE Supa Charger. Yes you can achieve 18V power thru the BBE Supa Charger, but you will then need to utilize 2 outlets to do so. The ISO-5 has a dedicated 18V out, which as FenderBigot mentioned, you can get a "Y" power cable to power 2 pedals off of 1 dedicated outlet rather than occupying 2 outlets.

The ISO-5 sells for $109, the BBE sells for $149. You can get the BBE on sale for much less, but then you have to do a search and hope to find it for less, and then there is shipping. If you need to daisy chain, there is the high mA 9V outlet on the ISO-5 rated at 300mA, although the mA is shared w/ the 12V.

You can certainly power 8+ pedals w/ the ISO-5, FenderBigot already stated this, I also power many pedals w/ the ISO-5(10).

13. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

14. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

15. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the Carbon Copy can be run off 18v??

Changing that as soon as I get home.

Anyway, carry on...

16. Hugo Da Rosa

This was apparently confirmed on another CC thread. From what I read, someone had contacted Dunlop and had a tech confirm that. May want to contact them yourself and make sure. From what I understand, it adds a volume boost when running it at higher voltages.