powering the KLON

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stereotypy, May 13, 2006.

1. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

well after i discovered the klon eats batteries as fast as a digital delay unit... i was going,.. well no more 9V there!!

but now i was just wondering. i don't like to try to solder the tip he included with the klon to solder to a boss adapter. but i have a ehx adapter i used some time ago laying around. its jack fits into the klon and it is 9V. but i am not sure about that positive and negative thing on this thing!!

could you help me out? i was quite risky and just tried it out and it worked perfectly. but before i will do any harm to this unit i wanna hear your thoughts!

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

Don't know the ehx personally but I am using a Cioks Big John (Tone Toys) power supply with the supplied cable...it has Boss style polarity and runs at 9VDC...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

anyone else knows about it?

4. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I know Bill says that if the polarity is wrong you'll fry the pedal. That being said, I guess you could try it for a few seconds. I would think that the pedal wouldn't work or sound right if it's wrong...and then you'll know right away. I don't think a few seconds will hurt it if it's wrong. If it works and sounds as it should, then you're good to go!

I use a Dunlop DC Brick on my board. I just sacrificed one of my little power cables and put Bill's included tip on. It's been fine.

Best,

Doc :)

5. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

well i played a long time with it.. but.. well you never know until you know for sure..;)

6. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Doesn't the plug that comes with the PP2 power the KLON? Not the barrel one, but the one that looks like a missle tip?

7. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

anyone can comment on my first post?? please...

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The Klon comes with a raw switchcraft # 780 mini plug, that being said , the tip is + (positive) and the sleeve is - (negative) in respect to the KLON's power requirements. I have the hand written page in front of me. Without seeing or knowing which EH adaptor you have no one can geuss if it is correct. do you have volt ohm meter to test it?

9. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Most times an adapter has a polarity and voltage explanation on the back.

10. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

11. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

hey lcjc,.. thanks a lot for the info!!