1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

powering whammy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kezend, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Kezend

Kezend Member

can the pedal power 2+ power the digitech wh-4? it has its own power supply that i can use, i just gotta tuck it away underneath the board i'm making. id prefer to use the pedal power for it. so can i? using the 5+6 y-cable? or is the ampage too low? any help?

2. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

The Whammy takes 9 Volts of AC power but the PP2+ provides 9 Volts DC. You would need the Pedal Power AC in order to run it.

3. Kezend

Kezend Member

are you sure its 9V? i know its ac but the transformer is 18v. 1.3amps i think. that doesnt sound right, and was told that one pp2+ ac outlet wont power it

4. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

Yep, I have a PP AC (for sale) that powered it, it is 9 volts.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I used to use a whammy IV reissue, and it took the same power as the original whammys. 9VAC, typical boss adaptors will not power it

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

I have a friend looking for a UK power supply to fit a Whammy, so this info was greatly appreciated. 9v AC you say?

How many 'Ma' does the pedal require? 1.3a seems quite high?

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the specs on how many mA it takes anywhere. I do know the old Whammy PS used ~700 mA, but I don't know if the newer whammys require more.

8. willyripz

willyripz Member

unfortunetly you aren't going to find any other option to powering the whammy other then the supplied adapter. I've looked into a fair bit. Its a pain in the arse...

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Nonsense. Any 9vac adapter rated for at least 820ma will work, including the PPAC, the Juicebox, the Line6 PX2, and lots of wall warts out there.

From an email:

"I do not have the exact currant draw of the Whammy you will have to test it with signal running through it, it will be less then 820mA if I remember correctly the draw is less than 500mA, but I do not recommend you use a supply less then 820mA.

Regards,

Shane Vander Veur
    Digitech Support"

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Doesn't the PP2+ have a wallwart jack on it? Or is that only the PP2 AC? Mine is the old PP2 and it has a jack on it.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

All versions of the Pedal Power have the aux jack for adapters.

12. Kezend

Kezend Member

ill think ill just stick with the supplied adaptor. i need the pedal power's jacks anyway lol. just woulda helped. ill test it anyway