Powerscaling 50w Plexi vs SV20H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zwiefldraader, Jun 15, 2019.

1. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Just curious:
    Wouldn't a 50w Plexi with powerscaling be as crunchy at capable volume as the SV20H Marshall - just a little less compressed and therefore even more 70s Rock?

4styx likes this.
  2. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Is it really true that I found a forceful statement of undeniable truth that even at TGP (land of the corksniffer home of the snakeoil) nobody has to add?

I am overwhelmed by my own intellectual capacity and grandezza.

( bump)

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

Power scaling is a pretty wide term here as there are multiple implementations. Yes, I believe if the amp was using London Power Power Scaling then it would be far more manageable for volume.

If it had just those typical lower voltage power scaling switches then it would be about the same as the SV20H with the option of having the 50W mode.

My Bogner Goldfinger 45SL has a few switches and the half power switch that turns off two tubes so 45W -> 23W would give it a similar feel to the SV20H: slightly softer, rounder low end, more compressed feel but barely any reduction in volume. The low voltage switch on the other hand makes the amp feel more saggy while again only giving a moderate volume drop. I like it best at the full power setting but use the low voltage mode for bluesier tones and cleans.

zwiefldraader likes this.
  4. 8len8

8len8 Member

You’d need to compare the OT sizes since that would probably make them sound different.

5. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    The sound of a big iron 50/100 watt tube amp pushed into saturation pummeling a quad or more of speakers to their breaking point is a force of sonic physics filling your ears. Anything, and I do mean ANYTHING less is a sad and pale reflection of that force.

I can tell you what works for me but ultimately you'll need to utilize that intellectual capacity and grandezza :) coupled with experience to determine your best fit. Half/quarter power or power scaling didn't satisfy my tone quest. I went from big iron tube amps to SS to small amps [down to 4 watts with many half/quarter power or power scaling stops in between] and have come back to big iron [50/100 watt] as they sound better at any volume than the others. At band volume there ain't no replacement for displacement.

Probably more info than you wanted but this is what works for me -

My favorite amps target that 70's rock you mentioned - 1959 [no master volume] /1987 [master added] + 2203/2204 as I like the less compressed tone. The other part of this equation is the speakers. A Greenback loaded 1960B hit that 70's tone perfectly. The closest I have to them are Scumback M75's.

The other bits I use to regain the saturated amp tone at lower volumes are OD/boost/dirt boxes and a compressor pedal. Which one depends on amp/tone/pickup/speaker combination. Experiment with turning amp up and guitar down too.

Good luck on your quest.

Russ

zwiefldraader likes this.
  6. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Hi Russ @Geeze - that's more or less the expected answer. I am not really into buying either one. But my guess was, due to the bigger irons you'll squeeze more volume and less compression out of a scaled down 50w, than out of a 20w Plexi. Nevertheless found the SV20 somehow tempting as a concept.
    But if I was after that raw rock'n'roll spirit, I'd rather spend my bucks on a Tweed Bassman. Depending on the OT used, it might be possible roaring it through my Pulsonic G12M 55Hz 2x12 for a beefier, more british sound.

Riding the guitar volume is my way anyways. I already play Single Channel NMVs.

Beneath the sheer physical punch of these monsters through Greenbacks giving up the goods, I was more wondering about the recorded tone. A big difference on stage, but maybe way less so for the audience.
    Getting less stage volume could even be key for better sounding PA / Auditory.

Thanks for chiming in, Russ!
    s'Zwieberl

Geeze likes this.