Powerscaling a Komet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by localmotion411, Feb 5, 2008.

1. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Is this possible? Should I do it? Will I need it? Is it worth it? Should I just use an attenuator? Should I quit being such a fanny? Did I just fart?

Discuss...

2. gooma

gooma Member

From posts i`ve read here Val King does a great job Powerscaling Komets.

I`m using the Ultimate Attenuator with my Concorde, does a great job of bringng the volume down to a more manageable volume.

Brad

3. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Yeah thats working real well for you :rolleyes:

Lets see - you live Western Australia, I'm in Portland, Or. U.S.A. , and I heard you just bashing out some AC/DC riffs late last night on the thing....

Sounded pretty good too :dude

For the O.P. - you need to read this - all your answers are there :
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=317563&highlight=komet

Then you need to have Gooma build you one of these:

[​IMG]

4. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

I love mine :). I really think though you need to send it to someone who knows what they are doing. I knew that Val had done one other before mine so I figured he would have a better idea what to do the second time around. I'm pretty sure he has done several komets now. Nothing like an experienced tech!

5. gooma

gooma Member

Hey Steve,

My hearing isnt the best, think i may have forgotten to switch that UA on last night:D:D

Im not so sure my neighbours would agree with my idea of "managable volume" :roll

6. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I'd ask Hogy his thoughts on that.

7. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i have power scaling on my JMJ30 and orange retro 50.
    i'm not inclined to do something so invasive to my komets. the komet attenuator is very transparent, but it's only attenuates to a maximum of 9dB, so it's not really for 'bedroom' levels. perfectly fine for getting the über loud komets down to reasonable levels for drummers w/ a light touch, tho'.

8. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Now this is my idea of what an attenuator should do. Cut down the volume just enough so that the FOH won't constantly tell you to turn down.

I wonder how the Komet Airbrake would stack up against a Hotplate at normal gig volumes with a Concorde. Something tells me that we would probably be hard pressed to hear a difference, especially in a full band context...

9. Masco

Masco Member

Hey Zero.

Have you checked out Kevin O'Connor's DC Power Scaling? It's not as invasive as the old version and very "existing amp friendly" .

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the hotplate is more flexible because it has the bass and treble boost functions as well as the option of turning the bulb on or off (the bulb on adds a bit of sag), but in terms of raw sonics and amelioration of artfacts from attenuation, i'd certainly give the nod to the komet attenuator over the 16Ω hotplate in a full band context w/ my 'limited edition' version of the concorde - the sexy looking KF50.

hey matt, nice to see U pokin' Ur nose in here at TGP.

nope, i haven't. i'll go have a look at the site. power scaling is certainly a very viable alternative to post amplifier attenuation and the more non invasive the better, as far as i'm concerned.
    i'm really diggin' using both attenuation and power scaling (depending on the desired result) to achieve reasonable SPL.

man, my amp just keeps on sounding better and better as time goes on. U did a great job.

i had heard that jennifer was not well and, if this is the case, i send the both of U super positive vibes.