Powerscaling - thumbs up or thumbs down?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TroyHamilton, Sep 7, 2008.

1. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

What's everyone thoughts on it now that it's been floating around for a bit... specific amps/examples would be great.

How many people add it to existing amps? Is it expensive and who are some good folks to do so?

(Researching my next amp and this is one element of it.)

2. konstantine

konstantine Member

totally thumbs up!!!!

I have a badger 18, I can play at any volume with the tone of the amp almost the same.. I can now go to rehearshals and gigs and dont argue with the sound guy or the other members about being to loud!! I can play home at nights, at wishper volumes and still the amps response and tone is still nice!!

3. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

Power Scaling: Big Thumbs Up.

I have it on my Kingsley D30. It does what it's supposed to do perfectly. I had to pay an extra $200.00 for this feature. Best money I ever spent.

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i'll do a demo of it when I get my reinhard plexi in a few weeks.

5. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I don't care for it, had it in two amps, but everyone else seems to like it, so maybe it's best to take a chance on it, you'll never know until "you" try it.

6. TroyHamilton

littlejohn-

can you elaborate on what you didn't like about it? I've noticed there is a certain group of people who don't - but I've never seen an explanation of why.

thanks!

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Half baked not ready for prime time.[​IMG]

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

My Kingsley D32C was the first amp Simon installed Power Scaling. It works great for me - just as advertised.

I think it's pretty much accepted that it doesn't create any problems for the amp, and in fact, it extends the life of tubes, which is very good for us NOS users.

9. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Oh man, you're doing that and a TTE demo? Get cracking, Jack!

10. TroyHamilton

Well you all aren't hurting my desire to move to a Badger or something else in the world of powerscaled/Marshall-y sounds.

Feel free to keep the input coming...

11. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I played a Suhr Badger a few weeks ago at a buddy's house. Absolutely two thumbs up!! Great feature and very, very, good at preserving tone on this amp.

12. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the application. I like the ones I've tried.

13. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Vintage 50 or JKC33?

14. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I like the power scaling on the badger 30........ I like that you can take it out of the mix and use it as a master volume or take the volume down and depending on whether you set the two knobs at the same level (this tightens up the feel) or you set the power a little lower than the drive (this gives you that power tube od sag feel) you can have the amp react to what you like! I like power scaling....I dont think it is made for bedroom level but it definately helps to be able to play at lower volumes and get the amp to react like its being pushed...

15. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

I'm a long time Power Scaling user (had one of the earliest London Power Studio amps) so give it a big thumbs up.

Currently have a Stephenson 30 watt combo which is the best PS amp that I've had yet.

16. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

My Rockytop 10 is my first power scaled amp and it's made me a convert. If there is another amp in my future at some point, it will have PS.

17. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I give a :AOKto London Power Scaling installed by Ben Fargen in his Mini Plex MK II. The master volume works well on this amp so this gives me another option for playing at low volume. If I want to crank the MV the London power scaling works very well to bring down the volume and maintain a pretty full and rich tone.
    Paul

18. konstantine

konstantine Member

i must add that the powerscaling its not so important on modern amps with lots of preamp gain which get the tone from the preamp tubes and use a fairly clean poweramp.. IMO and experience, at this application a good master volume can be as good as powerscaling...

19. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I've only tried it on Badgers, but in those amps it works like a charm. no doubt partially because of how John implements it into the design- he's pretty genius.

20. JimH

JimH Member

Added it to a cornell 20W plexi. Thumbs up, no more attenuator, good controllable tone. It makes getting levels right at gigs much easier.