Powerstage 170 good for a 4x12?

mcv

Is it powerfull enough?
Im looking for an amp for my hx stomp to use with my regular cabs, live.
I don’t need it to be on my pedalboard
Pedal baby ok?
Please advise...

dogratt

The PS 170 is more than powerful enough. I can’t go more than 1/3 the way up with the volume knob even at shows, and I ply in a loud band

flimz

4x12s are no problem for the PS170. I use it with multiple 4x12s and it never breaks a sweat. You will get more juice if the cab is 8ohm, but even with 16 ohm cabs I've only gone up to 1 o'clock on the volume. And it was screaming loud!

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
It depends on the impedance of your cabs. The PS170 (as with many digital and other solid state amps) will output 170W at 4 ohms, but only 85W into 8 ohms, and 42.5W into 16 ohms. If you have a 16 ohm cab, that 42.5W might not seem very loud.

However, the fix is to rewire your 4x12 cab to 4 ohms, easy to do with a 16 ohm cab as you simply wire all the 16 ohm drivers in parallel. You'll then get the full 170W into the cab.

Watt McCo

It depends on the impedance of your cabs. The PS170 (as with many digital and other solid state amps) will output 170W at 4 ohms, but only 85W into 8 ohms, and 42.5W into 16 ohms. If you have a 16 ohm cab, that 42.5W might not seem very loud.

However, the fix is to rewire your 4x12 cab to 4 ohms, easy to do with a 16 ohm cab as you simply wire all the 16 ohm drivers in parallel. You'll then get the full 170W into the cab.
My guess would be 42.5W to a 4x12 is still gonna seem quite loud even into a 16 ohm cab. A 4x12 doesn't require more power to drive. Indeed, having multiple drivers working in the same cabinet can provide an efficiency/sensitivity increase for the cab as a whole compared to a 1x12 at least at lower frequencies. It MIGHT not be enough if you're driving a 16 ohm cab and really like to drive it hard, but its gonna be loud.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
My guess would be 42.5W to a 4x12 is still gonna seem quite loud even into a 16 ohm cab. A 4x12 doesn't require more power to drive. Indeed, having multiple drivers working in the same cabinet can provide an efficiency/sensitivity increase for the cab as a whole compared to a 1x12 at least at lower frequencies. It MIGHT not be enough if you're driving a 16 ohm cab and really like to drive it hard, but its gonna be loud.
Indeed, but it totally depends on how loud it needs to be, also how much clean headroom you need. It's commonly known that you need a lot more solid state power to equal the effect of tube power, which sounds ridiculous to a tech, but does have some basis in truth as tube amps have characteristics while overdriven that do not exist with solid state amps, and digital amps in particular. You do NOT want to hear a Class D amp clipping!! So your 42.5W of Class D power into a 4X12 is most likely not going to be very loud if you have it adjusted to allow for transients in your playing, or especially if you are using clean tones.

I first ran into all of this while using a Behringer NU1000DSP power amp into my 4X12 Greenback equipped Marshall cab. It just would not get loud enough for a stage with a real drummer, but it turned out the issue was with the 16 ohm impedance of the cab. The NU1000DSP will only put out slightly under 100W into a 16 ohm load IIRC.

Watt McCo

Indeed, but it totally depends on how loud it needs to be, also how much clean headroom you need. It's commonly known that you need a lot more solid state power to equal the effect of tube power, which sounds ridiculous to a tech, but does have some basis in truth as tube amps have characteristics while overdriven that do not exist with solid state amps, and digital amps in particular. You do NOT want to hear a Class D amp clipping!! So your 42.5W of Class D power into a 4X12 is most likely not going to be very loud if you have it adjusted to allow for transients in your playing, or especially if you are using clean tones.

I first ran into all of this while using a Behringer NU1000DSP power amp into my 4X12 Greenback equipped Marshall cab. It just would not get loud enough for a stage with a real drummer, but it turned out the issue was with the 16 ohm impedance of the cab. The NU1000DSP will only put out slightly under 100W into a 16 ohm load IIRC.
Yeah, I'm aware. Those Behringers were spec'ed as 2x500 into 2 ohm. So estimate into a 16 ohm cab would be around 60 watts. Also -- that's the spec'ed output. From Behringer.

I don't disagree that 42.5W might not be quite loud enough for all situations -- but its going to be pretty darn loud.

Reactions: MKB

megatrav

Supporting Member
LOL is it powerful enough? Yeah, I think you'll be just fine.
People plug those EHX pedal power amps into 412's and they do just fine

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I'm aware. Those Behringers were spec'ed as 2x500 into 2 ohm. So estimate into a 16 ohm cab would be around 60 watts. Also -- that's the spec'ed output. From Behringer.

I don't disagree that 42.5W might not be quite loud enough for all situations -- but its going to be pretty darn loud.
Hopefully the OP has large magnet Celestions like V30's or G12H's in his cab, or EVs. That would make it louder; basically like doubling the amp power as compared to G12M's. Or another way to look at it is you get 3dB more headroom from the added speaker efficiency. If the OP has small magnet Celestions like a G12S-50, it might not be loud at all (those are even quieter than G12M's).

So many variables to consider...

flimz

LOL is it powerful enough? Yeah, I think you'll be just fine.
People plug those EHX pedal power amps into 412's and they do just fine
I also have an EHX Magnum 44. Into the same 4x12, the PS170 has way more available power and clean headroom. Not to mention the tone is much better too. I jam with a loud drummer.

Trending Topics