Powerstage 170 or 200?

mcv

For driving a 1x12 8ohm cab at rehearsals and 4x12 16ohm cab live?
Is it worth the extra $100?
Loud rock band
I use a hx stomp by the way....

For driving a 1x12 8ohm cab at rehearsals and 4x12 16ohm cab live?
Is it worth the extra $100?
Loud rock band
I use a hx stomp by the way....
I would prefer to have the 200 with the presence knob. If you use preamp from the stomp, into the poweramp, into a cab it may suck not having the ability to set the presence. Plus the other additional power and features. It looks like it's worth the extra $100 to me. GC and MF are having some 15% and 20% off sales now if you Google search coupons or call in for the best price they can probably make you a deal. Just call and ask what they can do with the sale on that item.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I'd vote for the 170 and keep the $100. IMO, the added value of the 200 is in its speaker sim and headphone output. If those features aren't important, then I'd go for the less expensive unit.

blackmonday

I have the 170 but haven't been able to test it in a band setting because...well you know. It can be very loud here at home, and is such a solid-feeling little unit. One tip - GC sells them used online, you can get some decent deals that way.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
I have the 170.
Never used with a band.
No doubt it could hang with one.
It's ridiculously loud.

If you go for the 170 you'll probably get the best result using the full amp models in the hx stomp. That way you still have the presence and just set the powerstage flat.

I am just about to pull the trigger on the 200. I've heard some stories about the 170 and how using a right angle plug on the input which accidentally touched the sleeve of the adjacent speaker cable in the output jack, and resulted in a dangerous electrical short and how that may be an inherent design flaw. Don't know how true that is, but the design of the back panel of the 200 appears to not allow for this.

I will mainly be using it into a 16 ohm Friedman 112, so the output should be around 60 watts or so, and into a Splawn 412, as a backup to my Matrix GT1000. The 412 is wired like a Marshall 1960, so I have the option of running it at 4ohm and that would give me about 200 watts there.

The price difference isn't big, and given what I've heard about the 170 and the more functional EQ on the 200, I'd go 200.

drew365

Gold Supporting Member
I have both the 170 and 200. I use the 200 with my main rig, which is a Helix floor into a 1x12 Celestion cab. The 170 is on a backup board with an HX Stomp. I mainly like the 200 for the presence, and the different EQ slopes. I also find having the clipping light on the 200 is helpful. I had patches that were too hot and I didn't realize were clipping the 170.

CarlGuitarist

I have both the 170 and 200. I use the 200 with my main rig, which is a Helix floor into a 1x12 Celestion cab. The 170 is on a backup board with an HX Stomp. I mainly like the 200 for the presence, and the different EQ slopes. I also find having the clipping light on the 200 is helpful. I had patches that were too hot and I didn't realize were clipping the 170.
May I ask what type of speaker you have loaded in that 1x12?

joafink2

Silver Supporting Member

It has the extra eq advantages and higher wattage. I even use it for my bass rig with my FM3 and the results are pretty outstanding.

Trending Topics