Powerstation question - using w/ lower rated speakers?

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
To any Fryette experienced fans -

Considering getting one. If I use it to reamp my Tungsten Mosaic Champ (8 watts) - can I use the FS to bring the amp 20 watts for headroom. AND then safely use the speaker in the amp that's rated to 30 watts? Or do I have to assume that any application using the PS the speaker should be rated for 50 watts?

Glitch Magnet

I think you'll be fine. Just don't push it too hard and avoid any sudden accidental high-volume bursts. The 50W PS has the potential to blow the speaker, but you won't be pushing it into distortion (that's coming from Champ) so you should be okay.

In hifi and PA, it's good practice to use an amp rated higher than the speaker for clean headroom (because it's a clipped power amp that blows speakers). Since you're not going to push the PS into clipping, you should be safe.

tele_player

I'm pretty sure that if you play loud enough, the PS could blow a 30w speaker, even if the amp and PS aren't pushed to distortion.

Of course, I'd try it anyway, and play loud. I have plenty of speakers.

pdf64

can I use the FS to bring the amp 20 watts for headroom
How would you be able to tell when the PowerStation amp is putting 20 watts into the speaker?

AND then safely use the speaker in the amp that's rated to 30 watts? Or do I have to assume that any application using the PS the speaker should be rated for 50 watts?
I can't see why the normal guideline for overdriven amps wouldn't apply; hence with a 50 watt amp, for best reliability the cab should be rated for at least 100 watts, with a minimum of 75 watts.
Celestion specs tend to include a de-rating factor, so a 50 watt of theirs may cope.

Tony-Cliffton

Silver Supporting Member
Really glad I saw this.
I'm buying an extension cab for my '63 silvertone 1482 and I'm going to get a powerstation to attenuate as well as boost volume for gigs. I was going to go with a g12h heritage but because of this I guess I should go with the creamback h. Any thoughts?

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Really glad I saw this.
I'm buying an extension cab for my '63 silvertone 1482 and I'm going to get a powerstation to attenuate as well as boost volume for gigs. I was going to go with a g12h heritage but because of this I guess I should go with the creamback h. Any thoughts?

Yes, you should definitely go with a higher wattage speaker such as the creamback H to get more high volume use from the power station. Better yet, I would peruse Scumback speakers and/or talk to Jim @ Scumback about one of his 100w models.

Tony-Cliffton

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, you should definitely go with a higher wattage speaker such as the creamback H to get more high volume use from the power station. Better yet, I would peruse Scumback speakers and/or talk to Jim @ Scumback about one of his 100w models.
Yep, on the to do list for sure. I played a creamback yesterday in a swart mod 84... it sounded super good.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom