PP ISO 5 or PP2+?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steve8043, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Steve8043

Steve8043 Member

Hello all! This is my first actual post here on TGP but have read many posts on the forums before and I think this is the best place to find this out.

I am upgrading from a onespot to either a PP ISO 5 or a PP2+ for my board due to noise issues (mainly with the loop station). I don't mind wiring up my own sets of daisies for the PP ISO 5 if it is feasible and quiet, saving the extra $60 would be nice as well. Anyways, here's a diagram I drafted up with all the mA ratings and possible ways to combine/chain inputs?

[​IMG]

Is this doable or should I just spring for the PP2? Thoughts?

EDIT: Ended up going with the 4x4!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. minty901

minty901 Member

In my experience there is always some noise when daisy chaining. Even if you have only a few pedals and can't hear any noise, it's probably just because it's too quiet to perceive at the volume you're playing, not because the noise isn't there. Place a boost pedal after each daisy chain and wack the volume way up high, and there's a good chance you might hear some whining. If I'm already spending a bunch of money to make my rig "almost" isolated, and "almost" silent, I'd rather go a little bit further and just isolate it completely. Saves any future regrets. Also, there's no way of predicting how a couple of pedals will truly behave when daisied of a specific power supply until you actually try it for yourself. A lot of the time the mA values don't really matter as much as you would think they do, and even if your pedals total less than half of what the power outlet can provide, you may still have lots of problems. I say go for the PP2+, or maybe get the ISO-5 first but make sure you are prepared and able to return it if it doesn't work out.

3. ruach1

ruach1 Member

I have used both (currently have an ISO 5). You would definitely be better off with the PP2+. The ISO 5 only has four 9 volt outputs, the other is 18 volts, which would be wasted, since you don't have any 18v pedals.
    Also, the Pitchblack only draws 30 mA. (It calls for a 600 mA power supply in the manual, but that's because it comes with a daisy chain cable that allows you to power several other pedals with it.)

That said, you probably won't have a problem daisy chaining the four pedals you have on output 1 on your chart. But the digital pedals are often an issue.

4. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Even with a PP2+ you'd have to daisy chain some stuff, and I always hear more noise if anything is daisy chained. Heck, I hear more or less noise depending on what pedals are in what locations on my board relative to each other. Everything effects everything.

You aren't lusting for Strymon or Eventide anything right? Because if you even remotely think that either of those might be a possibly, you should look at the 4x4 which is the most versatile ma wise from Voodoo Labs.

If I was doing your board I'd either be looking at a mondo or a 4x4 plus a second psu, I hate daisy chaining. I use a 4x4 and a Pp2+ under my board now to power isolated power to 16 pedals.

5. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

+1 The Voodoo 4x4 is excellent. I've got 2 under my board. It can pretty much handle anything you throw at it (although 18v needs the voltage doubler). I'd also echo ThisCallToArms and say that if you are upgrading to avoid noise, then DO NOT DAISYCHAIN period. The 4x4 is only 30 bucks more than the PP2+ and will handle upgrades / expansion much better!

6. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

I'll provide the dissenting opinion and say you'll be fine with the iso 5. It looks like the ultimate drive can run at 18v without any problems (according to Google, at least). You could get away with daisy chaining some of your pedals without noticeable noise (the logic of "daisy chaining always adds noise, even if you can't hear it" doesn't make sense to me - you may as well just not turn on your amp). You could always keep using the one spot for an additional isolated outlet.
    I'd test it out before you buy. Plan out what you think you're gonna need to daisy chain, and then set up individual chains with each daisy chained series of effects and see whether it's introducing any noise.
    The general rule is don't daisy chain at all, because it's safer advice than "don't daisy chain the noisy ones". But you can test your own rig and find out which ones are the noisy ones. I've found that often, in a noisy daisy chained setup, it's just one or two pedals that don't play well with others, and that most pedals do fine on a daisy chain.
    Good luck.

7. Steve8043

Steve8043 Member

Ok after reading the replies and researching noiseless setups and whatnot I think I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a 4x4. 10 inputs 10 pedals no chains seems to make more sense. I am on a tight budget so hopefully I can find a used one or a killer sale.

And yes, I plan on changing out my digitals one by one for more high end analog stuff, again money is the issue. I'll most likely buy an additional PP down the road.

Thanks for the input guys. This is why TGP rules.

8. jordane93

jordane93 Member

9. Steve8043

Steve8043 Member

Hey guys, just an update. Received the 4x4 today and got everything nice and tidy but I am still experiencing a hum issue with the RC-20XL, everything else appears to be dead silent...thoughts?

Some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]