PP2/Delay pedal issue. Please help.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TravisE, Feb 18, 2009.

1. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Kinda weird, my PP2 won't power my delay (Maxon AD-9Pro) unless the dip switch on the bottom is in the L6 setting. Is this going to fry the delay or what? If so....that would be bad. Help a brotha out!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that does sound wrong, since the ad-9pro apparently will work off battery power. something could indeed fry, so emails to maxon and voodoo lab might be in order.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Maxon says the AD-9pro draws 39mA, which any of the outputs on the PP2+ should easily be able to handle. If it doesn't, something's wrong with either the pedal or the power supply. Does it work with a battery?

Running the pedal on output 5/6 with the DIP switch on would (assuming the 39mA figure is correct for your pedal too) give it about 14 volts, which could potentially damage it.

4. TravisE

Hmmm. I'm just not sure what to think. I plugged everything in last night and it works and sounds fine but it will not work unless those switches are flipped. I was under the impression that a few of the outputs on my PP2 didn't work too but they seem to be doing fine now. Odd.

BTW, I'm not sure if it makes a difference but my Pedal Power is a PP2 not the PP2+. I've had the damn thing for about 8 years now.

5. dan_

dan_ Member

I'm having the same issue with my Hardwire DL-8! Refuses to work unless the dip switch is flipped...and I've played for probably 3-4 hours now, no problems.

I also have the PP2, not the +, FWIW.

6. TravisE

Well, that makes two of us. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I have an email into VL but it's still pretty early in Ca.

7. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

I have the BBE Supa Charger powering my Maxon AD9Pro and
    everything that I've read about the pedal says that it requires
    HUGE amounts of power (200mA).

I've been running it out of the higher draw plugs (5-6) on the Supa Charger
    and have had no problems whatsoever. I'll see if I can find the link to the
    information I had read about its power consumption.

Good luck.

8. TravisE

Thanks. I'd be interested to know what you find out.

9. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

I sent Godlyke an email this morning
    the following is the response I recieved:

"Cyle,

Most of the new Maxon 9-Series models have a circuit called a Charge Pump,
    which assures constant operation at 9 VDC, even with dying batteries, etc.

While the AD-9 Pro will draw 39 mA when in standard operation mode,
    the Charge Pump circuit itself requires a higher current inrush upon initial power-up -
    somewhere in the range of 175 mA or so. This being said, the lower current outputs
    (100 mA or less) of a multi-output power supply such as the BBE or the
    Voodoo Labs pedal power cannot power these units properly.

You should be okay to power the AD-9 Pro off the 200 mA outputs of the BBE unit,
    as the AD-9 Pro will only pull the voltage it requires - the 200 mA rating of the BBE's
    output is simply a maximum rating. However, I do have to let you know that Maxon
    only warranties units that are powered off the Maxon power supply that is specified
    in their manuals - in the case of the AD-9 Pro this would be the Maxon AC210N or
    the AC2009. Sorry, but there's no way for us to assure the interation of a product
    manufactured by another company with a Maxon-manufactured product.

Let me know if you have further questions......

Thanks,

Kevin
    Godlyke, Inc."

Interesting stuff. Hope that helps. I'll continue to run mine off the higher voltage port.

10. TravisE

Hmmm....interesting. I'm still not sure what to think about mine though. Maybe I'll sell the pedal or something rather than roasting it. Man, it's a great sounding delay though.

11. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

My AD900 works with the switch pushed away from "normal"

12. TravisE

How long have you been using it that way?

13. TravisE

Gonna bump this one and see if anyone else has any insight.

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Looks like the response from Godlyke above says most of it... the AD-9Pro does indeed draw 39mA under normal use, but when powering up (only the first half a second or so) it actually draws about 175mA. This is more than what the regular outputs (1-4, 7-8) on the PP2+ can provide, so it simply doesn't start up. Outputs 5 and 6 has 250mA available (still in normal/down/off mode - I'm not talking about the L6 mode), so it *should* work from one of those.

15. TravisE

That's just it though, it *doesn't* work when plugged into those unless the switch is in L6 mode. That's what is throwing me. I've tried it in every output and it only works when in that same mode. I looked for a owners manual online of the PP2 but could only find information of the updated version (pp2+) and I'm not sure if they're the same.

16. dan_

dan_ Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's going to fry, wouldn't it have already?

17. TravisE

Good point. I used it for a rehearsal last night and it was fine. I'm just worried about prolonged use. The AD-9Pro isn't a cheap pedal. ;)

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

That's weird. I have my Hardwire DL-8 running off one of the normal outs of my PP2+, set at 9v (stock dip setting). No issues and it's had months of daily use. Even though you have the non '+' edition, that shouldn't make a difference.

I know I've read that the Hardwire series also ramps up the voltage internally for 'greater headroom', but it's completely odd that you have that issue and I and others don't. Interesting. Hmmm. Now you have me thinking. Maybe I DO have it running out of one of the L6 outs... I treat all my outs the same because I don't have any pedals that pull over 100mA.

-Ben

19. dan_

dan_ Member

I'll go home and try it on some other outs...it could be entirely that I've been using it on a low draw output.

20. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Wait - you have the PP2 (not the PP2+)? That explains it - the older model (PP2, without the "+") has 100mA max for all 8 outputs in normal/down/off mode. With the "plus" model, they raised the max current on outputs 5 and 6 to 250mA, to accommodate the Boss Twin pedal series.

My bad - I simply assumed you had the PP2+. Anyway, running the AD-9Pro from output 5 or 6 with the DIP switch on is not advisable. In that mode, those outputs are unregulated, so the voltage varies with the load. At around 200mA load, the voltage is around 10 volts, which is just fine for the AD-9Pro. However, as soon as it has started up, it only draws 39mA, which pushes the voltage up to around 15 volts. That will put additional strain on the charge pump circuit and any voltage regulators sitting in front of it, which may not be good for it in the long run.

To get 9vDC/200mA from the PP2 ("non-plus"), combine two outputs (normal mode) in parallel. That doubles the current, while keeping the voltage constant. Use a regular daisy chain, and connect two plugs to the two outputs you'll be using, and the third in the pedal (tape up or cut off any additional plugs).

/Andreas