• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

PP2 or other Pedalboard Power supply?

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member

This is my current board. I've been looking at the PP2, and I have been doing a little research, but it's hard finding a definitive answer.

How do you power the:

Jamman - what cable? which/how many outputs?
EH DMM - which cable? which/how many outputs?
and ET Timefactor - which cable? which/how many outputs?​

After powering these 3, how many outputs will I have free for the other pedals?

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE.

The conundrum seems to be getting:

a BSR - 9VDC supply. 250mA
a Timefactor - 9 VDC, 1200 mA
a Digitech Jamman - 9VAC
EH DMM - 24VDC

all powered off a single power supply, that fits under a PT2.

I'm currently investigating the MXR CAE-403 & CIOKS AC-10

Last edited:

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
I'd look at a CIOKS DC10 - it's the one Eventide recommended and I actually suspect that the PowerFactor will be a CIOKS derivative...

It'll come with one cable that powers the factor pedals and the voltage doubling cable (although I haven't used it).

stinkfoot

For the DMM you need a voltage doubler (series Y) with reverse polarity (http://www.stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablepp2.htm#ehmm) - use two of the first four outputs, both set to 12v/ACA.

For the Eventide you need a current doubler (parallel Y), also with reverse polarity (http://www.stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablepp2.htm#YE-DA). Use both the high current outputs (5 and 6), set to normal mode. If you use the cable in the link, you need to also use the red plug cable that comes with the PP2+ towards the pedal. I believe Voodoo Lab sells a cable specific for the Factor pedals. You can also use a normal daisy chain cable with the Visual Sound L6 converter cable - two plugs to outputs 5/6 and the third, with the L6 converter attached - towards the pedal.

The JamMan needs 9vAC, and can't be powered from the PP2+.

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the help everyone. Stinkfoot thank you for the specifics, that was the most helpful!

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
The PPII comes with a cable for the DMM.
Awesome so it sounds like I just need to get the cable for the eventide, and figure out a way to mount the PP2 with enough room to plug in the Jamman adaptor in the PP2's courtesy outlet.

That sounds do-able.

my mxr 10 band eq also requires 2 PP2 outputs (18v = 9v + 9v)...

my temporary solution was the y-cable, one end goes into the pedal, the other 2-ends go into 2 PP2 outputs...

my eventual solution is to get an eq pedal that has typical power requirements...there are SO many pedals out there for any need, I can find an eq pedal that has the same power requrements as my other boss/barber/way huge/hardwire/mi audio pedals !:)

I got the y-cable at godlyke,,they also have extension cables in case the PP2 cables arent long enough

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
If you're using outlets 5 & 6 for the eventide you won't be able to power that blue sky, as it requires 250mA, (5 or 6 set to normal). You could however use the courtesy outlet on the back of the PP2 for the blue sky's wall wart. For that matter you could use the courtesy outlet for the eventide's wall wart, and you wouldn't be using up two outlets on the pp2. Food for thought.

is that a pedaltrain under them pedals?? If so, FORGET about the pp2 courtesy outlet (for wallwarts)...there isnt enough room...

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
is that a pedaltrain under them pedals?? If so, FORGET about the pp2 courtesy outlet (for wallwarts)...there isnt enough room...
I had planned on using a short extension cord for using the wallwart with the courtesy outlet and just velcroing the wallwart on the underside as well.

If you're using outlets 5 & 6 for the eventide you won't be able to power that blue sky, as it requires 250mA, (5 or 6 set to normal). You could however use the courtesy outlet on the back of the PP2 for the blue sky's wall wart. For that matter you could use the courtesy outlet for the eventide's wall wart, and you wouldn't be using up two outlets on the pp2. Food for thought.
This seems to be my real problem. I have 3 power hungry pedals and only a way to power 2 of them at same time. The Jamman requires the courtesy outlet, and both the Timefactor and BSR need outputs 5 & 6 of the PP2. If I can't power all 3 getting this is pointless for me. That kind of sucks.

I'm glad I did a little research beforehand.

I'd look at a CIOKS DC10 - it's the one Eventide recommended and I actually suspect that the PowerFactor will be a CIOKS derivative...

It'll come with one cable that powers the factor pedals and the voltage doubling cable (although I haven't used it).
Is it possible to mount the CIOKS DC10 under a Pedaltrain, it looks as if it has to be mounted on top, also I didn't see a courtesy outlet on it for something AC like my Jamman. Am I right Captain?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Pretty sure mine did, but I could be wrong.
Maybe, but the DMM requires 24VDC @100mA, so you would need a reverse polarity "Y" power cable in series and plug them into 2 outlets from #1-4 off of the PP2+ and set the DIP switches away from normal.

jb1911

Maybe, but the DMM requires 24VDC @100mA, so you would need a reverse polarity "Y" power cable in series and plug them into 2 outlets from #1-4 off of the PP2+ and set the DIP switches away from normal.
I've been doing that for a couple of years now. Maybe the cable came with the DMM? I bought it used.

rossta1

Not to derail but why does noone use the latest CAE power supply? That seems to cover all the bases! Is there some problem with it?

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for the heads up Rossta1. I assume you referring to this one. It looks promising. Are you using it? Have you mounted it to a pedaltrain?

I've been putting off buying a pedalboard power supply for years. I'm finally at the point where I can't ignore it anymore. Buying a power supply seems like the guitar equivalent of buying underwear. I just don't want to do it.

Last edited:

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Not to derail but why does noone use the latest CAE power supply? That seems to cover all the bases! Is there some problem with it?
I use the CAE MC-403 on my board. Sorry to say that it wouldn't cover all powering aspects of what the OP has listed as problematic powering needs. The MC-403 only has two power outs that can can you 12V and you will still need to combine them to achieve 24V.
The 2 outlets to achieve 24V would be the same 2 outlets that you would need to power the Strymon and Timefactor. It does power the Jamman thru the 9VAC. As much as I like the MC-403, there are not enough mA in the outlets unless you combine them. And in today's power hungry/high voltage digital effects, a few more 12V capable outs would have been nice. Fortunately for my needs, the 403 fit the bill in powering my effects on my board.

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
I use the CAE MC-403 on my board. Sorry to say that it wouldn't cover all powering aspects of what the OP has listed as problematic powering needs. The MC-403 only has two power outs that can can you 12V and you will still need to combine them to achieve 24V.
The 2 outlets to achieve 24V would be the same 2 outlets that you would need to power the Strymon and Timefactor. It does power the Jamman thru the 9VAC. As much as I like the MC-403, there are not enough mA in the outlets unless you combine them. And in today's power hungry/high voltage digital effects, a few more 12V capable outs would have been nice. Fortunately for my needs, the 403 fit the bill in powering my effects on my board.
I noticed that the 403 has an AC thru. Is there anyway to get something to plugin into the AC thru that could power the missing juice I need?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom