1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Practice amp kit

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by reallylost, Aug 20, 2003.

1. reallylost

reallylost Member

Can anybody reccomend a good practice amp kit?

5 to 10 watts with a nice clean sound

Ideally, I'd like to be be able to swap tubes in an out - 6L6, EL34, KT66 etc

Just volume and tone - no reverb, bass/treble etc

I don't have the time (or the inclination) to design something myself from scratch.

John.

2. johngalt

johngalt Guest

Check out the Allen Class Act - www.allenamps.com. The Class Act is a 5 to 8 watt (depending on power tube used) beauty that come in kit form or prebuilt. It is a single ended (one power tube) so it is truly class A. Sweet clean to maxed plexi depending on which of the two inputs you plug into and how high you turn up the gain. Overall a fine experience building the kit and an amp I use nearly daily for practice.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

4. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I think Bruce sells some pretty slick amp kits too.

5. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Reallylost,

Sorry if this is a little spammy but I will be offering my Mini-18W as a full kit. It will include the cabinet and a Weber 10" speaker so absolutely everything that is needed to build the amp will be included. It is a little more powerful than what you asked for, but it has a gorgeous clean tone at low volumes and if you crank it up, it will scream with the best of the 18W amps out there, especially if you plug it into a 2-12 or 4-12 cab.

Email me off list if you are interested at all.