Practice Amp - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FenderStrat, Jul 16, 2008.

1. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

I would like an amp for practicing at home that I can use my pedals with. I like to play Satriani songs and some metal(Blizzard of Ozz). I am not interested in $1000.00 + boutique amps. Does it even matter at practice volumes if it is a tube amp?

2. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

If it's only for practice, save some $$$ and get a Roland Cube 30 or 60.
    Yeah solid state yak yak but save your bucks for you gigging gear. Even new a 30 is only $229.

4. JJGross

JJGross Member

I gig with tube amps but practice at home with a SS Fender Champion 30 I got for $40 on CraigsList. It's one of the 'DynaTouch' amps and is actually fairly responsive. It's not a tube amp, but it's a very nice SS one.

1x10, 2 footswitchable channels, Master Volume, TMB tone controls, very nice cleans and surprisingly good overdrive once you tweak the tone controls to suit. Even has reverb (fair to middling) and an extension speaker jack. Sounds really good at home and will get nice & snotty if you plug in a bigger speaker. No goofy effects to get in the way of a very decent sounding small amp.

They can be had really cheap because I don't think anyone knows what they are.

5. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

Thanks for the advice. I have started thinking that SS is the way to go at home for practice. At volumes that low I sometimes think they (SS amps) sound better when I am using distortion.

6. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Line 6 Flextone III with footswitch. Replace stock speaker with V30. Works great alone and cuts a band wonderfully.

7. jaycee

jaycee Member

I just picked up a Spider Jam. Scrolled through some of the presets last night. So far, I think it has good home potential. It has a ton of presets (many are fairly usable) and it has 28 minutes of looping capability, etc. Lot of features for the money (450). Also it has audio loops to jam with. Haven't checked those out yet, though.

8. scott58

scott58 Member

Depending on your pedals, i absolutely love this little Valve Junior.

9. miltwill

miltwill Member

Two words -

MICRO CUBE

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Roland Cube. I play through one every week at a blues workshop and I'm always impressed with how good it sounds.

What I love best is I can setup on the "Overdrive" effect, get a great lead tone with a touch of dirt, and then roll back the volume and play a nice, clean rhythm. The dynamics are just there. I haven't played the larger ones but the Cube 20 is an ideal practice amp, IMHO.

edit: I'll also mention that I never have to set the tone controls to anything but straight up. EVER. They really got it right on this one.

11. mmorse

mmorse Member

+1 there. I use a Vox DA5 but I run it thru 112 OR 212. At very low volumes it sounds better than running my Marshall 2204 or any other tube amp I've used.

12. 5E3

5E3 Member

:agree with the above suggestions.

For practice and the style of music you play I would think a Roland Cube 30 or 60 would be excellent and a good value. If you buy used and don't like it, resale is decent too. I see a lot of Line 6 gear on my local Craig's List, and even new they are not expensive. Those would definitely be worth checking out.

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

Champ 12!

Tomo

14. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Just one thing about the Cubes. The 30 is much different than the 20. The 20 just has some effects. The 30 actually does amp modeling. My impression is that many people prefer the 20 to the 30. Definitely play both before deciding :)

15. CAC

CAC Member

Another vote for the Roland cube series. Micro Cube if it's only going to be around the house, but get the 60 if you want an amp that is actually very giggable, but great for low practice volumes too. You can easily get them for less than $250 used.

16. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

You might wanna try out the Vox DA range (5w 1x6.5, 10w 2x6.5, 15w 1x8, 20w 2x8) they're more than a match for the Roland Cubes and generally a little cheaper, i used to have the 15w version and it was a great little amp, a buddy bought it off me and re-housed the amp section into a different cab with 2x 8" Celestions....killer little practice amp :AOK

17. socalscott

socalscott Member

Tech21 TRI-AC(3 ch pre-amp) > Alesis RA-100(reference amp) > 12"
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/triac.html

[​IMG]
    Tech21 was $115 used
    Alesis was $75 used
    Any 12" combo

TRI-AC SS modeling of Fender, Marshall and Mesa is superior to any digital modeler.
    Cab sims provide thick, rich saturated tones and these settings clean up via git vol roll-off, which maintain the intended model.
    Great low volume thunk.
    Foot pedal aboot 8" x 6"
    3 channels. Analog control settings are digitally saved to any of the three foot switches, simply push twice.

The TRI-AC is to be run thru. a power amp or gtr amp power section only.

18. Digam11

Digam11 Member

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Fender Prosonic.

60 watt 2x10 two channel combo.