Practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by token, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. token

    token Member

    Messages:
    4
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Looking for an amp to play in the living room. Something cheap (300) or less. I'm looking at the fender super champ xd and the vox ad30vt right now. any feedback or suggestions?
     
  2. hecticone

    hecticone Member

    Messages:
    91
    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    I have the super champ great little practiceamp . Did replace the speaker tho. With the line out you could even play small shows with it.
     
  3. reggieband

    reggieband Member

    Messages:
    26
    Joined:
    May 31, 2008
    I also have the super champ XD and I replaced the speaker and the 12ax7 tube. I don't think a new speaker or tube is mandatory (some disagree) and for under 300 it is a great practice amp. I use the clean channel 80% of the time but I must admit having the models on the second channel is very nice for the remaining 20%.

    I can imagine having a better amp (the reverb gets a little noisy past fx level 5 or 6 and the chasis buzzes occasionally) but I figure it would cost quite a bit of money to surpass this amp.
     
  4. 60HzShuffle

    60HzShuffle Member

    Messages:
    535
    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA area
    Yup, The SCXD is good for that. I did not feel like I needed to upgrade anything.
     
  5. richey88

    richey88 Member

    Messages:
    1,385
    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    Location:
    Northeast PA USA
    + 1 on the SCXD! I use it by itself at home and thru a 4x12 for gigs. My AD50VT is just collecting dust since I got the SCXD. Can't beat it for the bucks!
     
  6. frank62

    frank62 Member

    Messages:
    5,375
    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mechanicsburg, Illinois
    The G Dec is cool for practice.
     
  7. steevo124

    steevo124 Member

    Messages:
    100
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    Spend an extra $100 or so and get a Blues jr. I would even say splurge a bit more and go with the NOS blues jr. tweed w/ Jensen Speaker. Great little amp. Awesome Cleans and very good Reverb..
     
  8. GEN DAWG

    GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    1,908
    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    Location:
    Boston Burbs
    Can't speak to what the others are recommending, but I can say that a little Tech 21 Trademark 10 is versatile, has a headphone out, and does very well at direct recording. Also, don't discount the Crate Powerblock + a decent 1x12 cab.
     
  9. googoobaby

    googoobaby Member

    Messages:
    1,863
    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    The new Peavey Vypyrs will be shipping shortly and the specs look very good for the price. I read the manual and it makes a lot of sense to me.
     
  10. John Coloccia

    John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    9,485
    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    Connecticut, outside of Hartford
    The Roland Cube 20X is awesome, IMHO. Definately worth a look.
     
  11. champster

    champster Member

    Messages:
    860
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Location:
    Oceanside/CA
    I have a blues jr and two SCXDs. The blues jr sits and I like the SCXD so much I bought a second one. They really sound huge run together.
     
  12. burner

    burner Member

    Messages:
    2,615
    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    Don't forget the Fender Pro Jr.
     
  13. Austinrocks

    Austinrocks Member

    Messages:
    7,026
    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2007
    had a the tech 21 trademark 10 as a practice amp, not a bad amp, just wish it had not died on me after a couple years

    I tend to avoid solid state guitar amps, since everyone has died in a few years, tube amps never had that problem, over 30 years old and still going strong.

    anyway the Epiphone valve special is really nice practice amp, thats what replaced the tech 21, 5 watts on board effects, $240, really nice tone amp, with good overdrive

    http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPABKSPDSP

    or the valve standard for $300

    http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPABKSPDSP


    I have a peavey valve king royal 8 amp, would suggest staying away from that amp, its a total POS,
     
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  14. jefesq

    jefesq Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    2,982
    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2007
    Location:
    the ocean state
  15. DJstrat

    DJstrat Member

    Messages:
    9
    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    hard to beat the fender g-dec for a practice amp. I like having drums and a bassline to play over. full of effects, you can change the tuning of your back up band if you want to work in B or D etc... pretty cool for me anyway.
     

Share This Page