Practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by token, Aug 10, 2008.

1. token

token Member

Looking for an amp to play in the living room. Something cheap (300) or less. I'm looking at the fender super champ xd and the vox ad30vt right now. any feedback or suggestions?

2. hecticone

hecticone Member

I have the super champ great little practiceamp . Did replace the speaker tho. With the line out you could even play small shows with it.

3. reggieband

reggieband Member

I also have the super champ XD and I replaced the speaker and the 12ax7 tube. I don't think a new speaker or tube is mandatory (some disagree) and for under 300 it is a great practice amp. I use the clean channel 80% of the time but I must admit having the models on the second channel is very nice for the remaining 20%.

I can imagine having a better amp (the reverb gets a little noisy past fx level 5 or 6 and the chasis buzzes occasionally) but I figure it would cost quite a bit of money to surpass this amp.

4. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Yup, The SCXD is good for that. I did not feel like I needed to upgrade anything.

5. richey88

richey88 Member

+ 1 on the SCXD! I use it by itself at home and thru a 4x12 for gigs. My AD50VT is just collecting dust since I got the SCXD. Can't beat it for the bucks!

6. frank62

frank62 Member

The G Dec is cool for practice.

7. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Spend an extra $100 or so and get a Blues jr. I would even say splurge a bit more and go with the NOS blues jr. tweed w/ Jensen Speaker. Great little amp. Awesome Cleans and very good Reverb..

8. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Can't speak to what the others are recommending, but I can say that a little Tech 21 Trademark 10 is versatile, has a headphone out, and does very well at direct recording. Also, don't discount the Crate Powerblock + a decent 1x12 cab.

9. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

The new Peavey Vypyrs will be shipping shortly and the specs look very good for the price. I read the manual and it makes a lot of sense to me.

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

The Roland Cube 20X is awesome, IMHO. Definately worth a look.

11. champster

champster Member

I have a blues jr and two SCXDs. The blues jr sits and I like the SCXD so much I bought a second one. They really sound huge run together.

12. burner

burner Member

Don't forget the Fender Pro Jr.

13. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

had a the tech 21 trademark 10 as a practice amp, not a bad amp, just wish it had not died on me after a couple years

I tend to avoid solid state guitar amps, since everyone has died in a few years, tube amps never had that problem, over 30 years old and still going strong.

anyway the Epiphone valve special is really nice practice amp, thats what replaced the tech 21, 5 watts on board effects, $240, really nice tone amp, with good overdrive

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPABKSPDSP

or the valve standard for $300

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPABKSPDSP

I have a peavey valve king royal 8 amp, would suggest staying away from that amp, its a total POS,

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  14. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

15. DJstrat

DJstrat Member

hard to beat the fender g-dec for a practice amp. I like having drums and a bassline to play over. full of effects, you can change the tuning of your back up band if you want to work in B or D etc... pretty cool for me anyway.