Practice Problems

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by astainback, Jan 23, 2008.

1. astainback

astainback Member

I am not sure where to go when it comes to learning to be a better player.

I have and use Tomo's DVD, and I am going through a blues book/cd I have.

I need a teacher, but I do not have access to one. I didn't know if anyone knew of a book that has guitar lessons in it. I want to get the theory down as well as fretboard knowledge. I know a lot, and I am sure I know more that I think I do, but I feel stuck, and I like writing original stuff over learning covers. There are some songs that are covers that I enjoy playing, but I am really into just knowing more so I can write better.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Great book. Learn to read, it will teach you a ton of theory in the process. The more you read, the quicker you learn other things that are written down (i.e. real music).

But it sounds like you really need a teacher first and foremost to feed it to you in small chunks, so what's keeping you from finding one? That failing, find some guys who are a bit more along than you are and start hanging out with them and trying to jam with them.

Good luck!

Dave

3. astainback

astainback Member

Looks like a good book. I was in band for years (and still play) playing trumpet, baritone, and the french horn. I can read music, but I want to advance my guitar playing. I am looking for some material to help me understand chords better, and improvising chords... learning the gutiar neck better, and getting smoother/faster.

4. limester816

limester816 Member

There's always the option of correspondence guitar lessons. That way you can choose from a variety of teachers. They're pretty expensive, though.

5. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

If you can't find a teacher, continue doing what you are doing. In addition, try copping some licks from music you like. It is also great to find some others to play with.

6. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

You MUST also work on your technique so you have the capability to execute & play what's in your head. Arnie Berle used to write the best columns in GP: scales, fingering, notes on the staff & all at a glance. But if your skills are not that good, the learning curve will be longer. Also: go to GP's TV area and SEE what you might be missing. There are also some great players in Raleigh if you're near there, and many instructional videos on the market. Quest forth!

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

You can read music on the guitar at the level of being able to pick up (not necessarily sight read) violin or 'cello or trumpet or clarinet etudes and you're having trouble learning the neck? Something doesn't add up.

If you're a decent reader on the guitar check out Joe Pass Guitar Style for lots of great chords and chord subs. Other worthwhile books are the Jody Fisher series of books about jazz guitar/chord melody.

8. countandduke

countandduke Member

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Yeah this is good.

Where are you in NC? I may be able to help ya find someone.

10. astainback

astainback Member

What I meant to say was that I can read standard notation as well as tab. I learned in band (and still use it when I play trumpet, which is not often).

I am really not looking for just music to play, I want to learn more about everything. I know that is vague, but I am in a learner's rut.
    I am not a beginner at the guitar, but I feel like it sometimes. My abilities shine in expressive playing, picking up on rhythms quickly, improvising, and having fun.

I really only play for fun, and to jam with friends. I feel stuck in what I know, and I am looking to learn more. Feeling stuck is not fun at all. I don't really want to head in a specific type of musical direction (jazz, blues, rock) but more into understanding the guitar better. I picked up Guitar Fretboard Workbook last night at Guitar Center. I am looking for a book with guitar exercises and lessons to further understand the fretboard and chord building.

I need to do a search again.. I took a list of books with me to GC and they only had the fretboard book. I will post again with the list.

11. astainback

astainback Member

Here are some of the books I am looking at :

Hal Leonard : Music Theory for Guitarists: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask

Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry (Not sure about this one.. I don't think it has exercises it in.)

Ted Greene's Modern Chord Progressions

MI : Rhythm Guitar: The Complete Guide

Berklee : A Modern Method for Guitar

Any thoughs on which I should get/start with?

12. astainback

astainback Member

I found this one too.. Sounds like a good "getting back to basics" book.

Hal Leonard Guitar Method, Complete Edition: Books & CD's 1, 2 and 3