Practice Rig that is cheap and doesn’t suck

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jeff_G, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

Ive been needing a practice rig that does two things: lets me play silently (headphones), and lets me play along with an iPad.

I run my guitar direct into the Joyo American Sound (JAS) —> Behringner reverb —> mixer. The iPad goes directly into the mixer. This lets me control mix levels and pan if I need to and get it all in headphones.

The most surprising thing is that the JAS actually doesn’t suck. I like it way better than some other options I’ve tried and I can easily get useable drive and clean sounds with some quick knob adjustments.

Does this sound amazing? No. But for practice I’m really really happy with it. And it is cheap! Bonus - I can bring the JAS as a backup to gigs if my amp dies.

Happy practicing guys!

[​IMG]

Moby Dick, Dale, middy and 1 other person like this.
  2. stevel

stevel Member

Why wouldn't you use something like iRig and just play directly into the iPad using some apps/plug-ins for drive sound internally?

uab9253 and Bankston like this.
  3. slybird

slybird Member

Supposedly that new Quilter IB45, the Yamaha THR, and some of the Boss amps will do what you want and they are all on the affordable side.

4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

5. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

I tried a Quilter Micro Block 45 but the headphone out wasn’t very good.

And I had an iRig but had a lot of hum from the “amp” and thought the sound was thin.

Again, this isn’t the best tone I’ve ever had but it’s the best I’ve had through headphones thus far.

6. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Guitar + iRig + IOS device w/ earbuds + mobile Line 6 POD app = the easiest and cheapest practice rig I've ever had.

uab9253, Jeff_G and HesNot like this.
  7. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

Scuffham S-Gear has been 90% of my practice and recording for a while now. It's the only amp sim software I really like. It runs on a desktop, so if you really need something iPad-specific it won't be your solution, but it's worth looking into.

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear

MickeyJi, Brandon7s and Jeff_G like this.
  8. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Where do you get those backing tracks from?

9. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I had a pocket pod for a long time which I always found somewhat meh - but it had MP3/Aux in...

I've been experimenting with an ipad rig - with iRig as my interface - not settled on a modeler yet Amplitube is fine but I'm going to try BiasFX tonight. Use Tidal in the background with Amplitube and it works fine. Not sure if BiasFX has that same capability...

It seems like ipad with an irig for me at least is the best sounding silent option and certainly portable/convenient.

Jeff_G likes this.
  10. pompeii0

pompeii0 Member

I'm looking for a silent/headphone practice solution too but want to avoid the iPad thing as the "amp". I would use it for backing tracks but that's it.

11. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

Just on YouTube. Search for backing track in [insert key] and you’ll get a bunch of results.

12. Jeff_G

Jeff_G Member

That’s exactly what I was going for with this “rig”. If you’re curious about running something like my setup, the JAS and a mixer will only set you back about $100.

13. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Ahhh. I thought you had them loaded into your ipad or something.

14. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

Zoom G1ON makes a great portable headphone practice rig. Inexpensive also.

Nevets and erikzen like this.
  15. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I use a Line 6 Amplifi. I like that I can control it and play music from my phone, and the full range speakers in the Amplifi reproduce the music a little better than a standard amp. Has headphone out too, of course. The app is a little buggy at times, but the Amplifi device itself is kind of understated and attractive. My wife didn't even mind it in the family room when I used to use it there.

16. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I use a Yamaha THR10 for the same function, although I don't use the headphones. It works great for me!

brb9911 and Moby Dick like this.
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

(Someone once said) life's too short to play with crappy sounding gear...

18. erikzen

erikzen Member

I use a Zoom G3 for practicing with headphones. The latest model is the G3N. It has a 3.5mm input so you can plug in your iPad and play along, or use the USB output and play along to any tracks you have on your computer.

19. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Just bought a used Tascam MP-GT1 at the local GC and am very happy with it. Load up MP3's, select a tone, and have at it. You can even slow down playback and change keys on a MP3 as it plays, and the Guitar Cancel setting works very well. $40 well spent.

On a higher price note, the Line 6 HX Stomp looks like a terrific headphone amp. It would be perfect if it had a flash drive\MP3 playback capability. At least it's worth as a practice amp is what I keep telling myself is justification enough to get one. The Kemper is a terrific headphone amp, but is kind of big.

20. CowTipton

CowTipton Member

Guitar --> Line 6 Sonic Port --->iPad running Mobile POD app

Headphones plug into Sonic Port as well.