Practice Tools?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by benbenben, Feb 3, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hey guys,

I've been playing for several years now... and I'm at a stage where, I'd say i was fairly decent and will be able to play in an impromptu band and sound pretty good. What I'm questioning is my lack of theory and "direction" in playing. I've been playing out of feel and experience which is know is great, but i lack the theory behind "why" i play those notes and why they sound as good as they do.

I'm talking about using lots of different scales, and understanding them. Using the different modes and being able to speak in that sorta "use the 7th note, or the minor of that chord" lingo to other band members. I'm really hoping to get some theory lessons this year but it's pricey and as a fulltime student overtaken by GAS, it's really hard to fund it. Is there any good resources out there that'll really help me grasp the concept of 'guitar and music' theory to what i need to know?

2. gennation

gennation Member

You can get a good head start by reading my Beginners to Advanced Series at my lesson site: http://lessons.mikedodge.com

Read though the Intervals section, then move to the Chord Construction, and then onto the Diatonic Theory. It's a ground up approach created to give you a great foundation of things to come when delving into deeper aspects of theory.

That's the stuff you "need to know". For some stuff you might "want to know", check the On Topic Section for individual lessons on many different playing aspects and where they come from.

Based on your description of where you're at, the Advanced Pentatonics Tutorial will probably explain a lot but each topic/lesson is full of surprises.

Make sure you read the Introduction to each lesson though. It'll give the insight for what you are about to learn and what you can take from it.

Good luck and have fun!

3. willhutch

willhutch Member

In addition to gennation's site, there is a wealth of info on the web.

I recommend you start by learning the following concepts, in the order listed. You'll find tutorials by doing a quick Google search:

1) Intervals
    2) Major scale
    3) Chord construction
    4) Harmonized major scale
    5) Modes of major scale

These are the building blocks of Western music - or at least of Western muic theory. When you have these concepts under your belt, you ill be better able to teach yourself. Also, your communications skills will improve because this is the language of our music.

4. gennation

gennation Member

That's the exact path the Beginners to Advance Series takes, and then some.

5. benbenben

benbenben Member

Oooo that's looking really good. Thanks a bunch guys! Will def have a look at that when i get back home. :D Thanks? Any other resources? Dya guys recommend learning from those "Learn to play like eric clapton, or hendrix, or gilmour" style books? I've tried in the past but i lost interest quickly..

6. willhutch

willhutch Member

I don't really get much out of licks-in-the-style-of-so-and-so books. Transcribing them myself makes is much better in that by the time you have learned the licks, you have come a long way toward internalizing them. When they are served up in tab, I have a hard time making them stick.

YMMV

7. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Check out Mark Levine's Jazz Theory Book.

8. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Mel Bay Baby!!! ;)