Practicing away from your guitar...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tyger, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Tyger

Tyger Member

I love to practice, and I do it whenever I have free time. The thing is, right now I have maybe three to four hours to do something besides work. I was wondering if there was anything musically building while I work that could help me with music theory, or just help me in anyway musically. Also, I basically ride along with a driver all day, so I am hands free... Thanks!​

2. Sykes

Sykes Member

You could always practice scale patterns in your head. I use to do that a lot on my forearm just to memorize the box patterns. I just envisioned my forearm being whatever part of the neck I was playing lol.

3. octatonic

octatonic Member

There is so much you can do away from the guitar.

See if you can run through ii V I's in your head in various keys.
    Harmonise major scale, melodic minor, harmonic minor in various keys in your head.

Take a Real Book with you (or just some pages from it) and try to transpose or reharmonise the tune in your head (or on paper).
    Try to visualise it on the guitar neck.

4. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Listen to music.. especially music you don't have.. not brand X corporation made radio hits... unless you like that.... But there's all kinds of music and styles you can listen to... and your driver might like some music you haven't heard...

Do you compose? what about lyrics? themes and plots for tunes.. albums? All day everyday you can "work" in this sense... carry a notebook and pen for ideas... words / lyrics etc....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. thisHEREgiraffe

thisHEREgiraffe Member

:agree

This is almost as important to me as practicing. The more music you encounter the more you'll be able to find what sounds/ideas you'd like to use and also what you don't want to use.

6. yellow_se

yellow_se Member

Here something I've been doing with and without my guitar that my instructor said would really teach the notes on the neck.
    Start with C and play every C on each string, then D, G ... on through the circle of 5th.. then go backwards through 4th
    C - F - Bb .... only play in notes open to twelfth fret to start with.
    You can visualize the neck without your guitar, E string 8th fret, A string 3rd fret and so on.

It's takes some focus, when you have your guitar use a metronome and start out slow.

I known the neck much better now and it almost like meditation without the guitar.

7. dvuksanovich

dvuksanovich Member

What really locks in visualization for me is also remembering the tactile feel of the shape(s) with my left hand. If you put those two things together you can accomplish some pretty amazing stuff without the guitar.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Fretboard visualization ... harmonic theory application & conceptual thinking away from the actual guitar
    has probably done more for my playing then I realize ...

When learning a new song... it's one of the keys to getting the tune integrated into your system

Plus it's a wonder relaxation technique that has been helping me fall to asleep now for years ....
    Takes me away from the daily mundane or survival thoughts that can mess with your falling sleep ...