Praise and Worship Question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by HalfGunSkyTour, Feb 13, 2017.

1. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I've been trying to work that in your face garage band tone with my Komet stack but am getting a lot of looks.

Seriously though..... a couple of our bands tend to follow that vein of perfect song emulation......

Our group is just starting out and I have kept the tone more percussive and a little cleaner effect wise and have been getting good feed back on my tone....toss in a few hot leads for effect. :eek:

I have been trying to dial in some of the washier verb stuff ......just for in between song filler.

2. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Because I spent 34 years as a professional recording, mixing, editing, mastering and live sound engineer, I have good ears for mix balance. A lot of my work involved teaching folks what good sound is. I have been fortunate to work on some great systems in great control rooms and performance venues.

Floyd Toole calls it the circle of confusion. http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/10/audios-circle-of-confusion.html

It took me a long time to feel like I could make things sound good and I always had good gear, the weak link was monitors and the rooms. When the science of room acoustics and loudspeaker design advanced, everything became much easier. These days, there is no reason to produce bad sound if you learn about those two things and spend some time using good reference material (well recorded, mixed and mastered CD's).

A good teacher and mentor will speed things along at a much faster pace.

A valuable reference that I found a while ago is Floyd Toole's book, "Sound Reproduction, Acoustics and Psychoacoutics of Loudspeakers and Rooms".

It's not about live sound, but addresses so many important issues.

I think to be a good live sound engineer, you must first hear well recorded music played back on good full range speakers in a good room.

Sorry, I have gone off topic in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    HalfGunSkyTour likes this.
  3. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

It's the sound everyone uses because it's the sound on the albums. Musicians tend to try and emulate those whose songs they play. We do it in cover bands and that's basically what a church band is. Doesn't make them lesser musicians, just guys with cool gear making a specific set of sounds that fits the music they play.

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

RE: OP...

Yes, first off, it's low hanging fruit to get that sound. Also, keeping in mind that P&W is a very specialized form of accompaniment (to the congregation's singing), those textural sounds fit in really well no matter what's going on. Echo also imposes its own rhythm when most of those players (in my experience) are not very strong rhythmically. It fills a lot of space quick too which is often necessary because drummers and bassists generally are pretty weak at providing a solid foundation for the sound. It also hides lack of musicianship well too because it's a wash.

5. derekd

derekd Member

Chris Tomlin predates Hillsong, I think and his guitarist played the heck out of that approach, especially early on. Chris is the the biggest thing in P&W, and has had a huge influence on the genre for a long time.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  6. Steve1216

Steve1216 Supporting Member

Coldplay is also a huge influence on today's P&W. What Coldplay and U2 have in common are very atmospheric sounding guitars. P&W *loves* this sound. The guitars should sound like drops of water falling in a crystal cave more than actual guitars, half the time. While the dotted eighth is a neat and easy trick to make up rhythmically interesting parts when cranked to the same effect level as the actual note being played... when dialed way back, it can add another layer to the 'crystal cave' effect when you have about two other delays going and a thick load of plate reverb. While the former may be on it's way out, I'll bet the latter use will be around for awhile.

derekd likes this.
  7. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I have been noticing less dotted 8th stuff in the sets too. The new trend I can't stand is the country influence creeping in a lot of popular songs. I love U2, old school country and even modern country music but it does not work in church in my opinion. I will take the Hillsong and Bethel stuff any day. As soon as someone brings a banjo on stage I am out....:D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    scott944 likes this.
  8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Been playing P&W for a LONG time, including spending most of the years since 2005 working in a church.

A bunch (virtually all) of the worship guitar players playing when this stuff really took off simply wanted to sound like the Edge. That's it.

And now they want to sound like the guy who wanted to sound like the Edge.

I'm not over it, though. LOVE a dotted eight delay, whether that's "Streets" or Pink Floyd.