Praise for the Barber Direct Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GregS, Jul 29, 2006.

1. GregS

GregS Member

As most of you know, some pedals sound great with some amps. Well, the Barber Direct Drive sounds freakin' fantastic with a Two Rock Onyx. I have tried it with some of my other amps and it still sounds very good. However, paired up with the Onyx clean channel, I am getting a great, great crunch tone. Kudos to Barber for making a great, well built, and relatively inexpensive pedal!

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

It's works great with my Peavey Classic 410. I've got 2 of the DD's now and they stack pretty good together. I think maybe a Silver LTD would work out better for me, but this is working for now since I don't have SLTD.

3. strat222

strat222 Silver Supporting Member

I want to second what GregS & JPENN stated. I use the Direct Drive with a Relic Strat and 68 Princeton Reverb and the tone is unbelievable. I think it's probably one of the best pedals on the market today and is relatively cheap. Great job Barber Electronics!!!!!!!!

4. Ken

Ken Member

I also have the DD with a Carr Rambler and it really shines for getting the Rambler into Classic Rock territory with Marshall type tones.

Dave posted this sample of the DD on another thread:

http://barberelectronics.com/SShamer.mp3

5. llc55

llc55 Member

Is there an amp that the Barber DD doesn't go well with? Any bad match?

6. Rico Alan

Rico Alan Supporting Member

What really impressed me about the DD when I first tried it was the nice little extra bit of singing sustain I seemed to get out of it, notes just seem to hold on a little more with the DD than a lot of other ODs I've tried......

7. mude

mude Supporting Member

Killer pedal for sure. The Silver LTD is also a cool pedal (have not played the black version). Great stuff.

Lots of good pedals out there these days, but the Barber still is a real bargain compared to some of them.

Evan.

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I liked it with my old Fender Twin. Doesn't sound as good thru an AC30. It sounds kinda fake. Doesn't really sound natural (IMHO) with the vox.

9. Cthross

Cthross Member

I play mine through the Carvin MTS3212 clean channel and it's awesome. Literally it sounds HUGE. :D

I have the DD SS, a local store had a new one and when I found out Barber quit makin the SS I bought it. It was an excuse and my wife bought it. :D

Anyhow it's great, it has a harmonics pot on the inside which is somewhat like the push/pull pot only more extreme. It adds a bit of girth, and when turned up it adds compression which really makes it sing with the gain up. Great pedal.

-Chris

10. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Love my DD SS. It's worked well for me with a Traynor YCV40, a Blues Jr, and a silverface Vibro Champ. Pretty amazing range of drive levels available.

I normally use it for a nice singing lead tone, but it can do a really great crunchy rock rhythm thing too.

I dug out my ancient Ibanez Les Paul copy which has Dimarzio Super Distortions pup's, and it sounded very cool through the Barber. Not a tone I have much call to use, but, damn, it was a great "rock" tone.

11. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I was trying a DD out at the local store and had a small crowd around me praising the tones I was getting out of that pedal. I bought it and then learned at home about the push pull tone pot. What a great versatile pedal! Truly best band for the buck.

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

The Barber DD was my first boutique OD pedal. I've been so happy, I haven't bought another OD since. It's my little secret weapon I carry with me to jam nights. It sounds great through almost any amp. I love this pedal. Next up for me, is the Barber Small Fry. I think Barber products are among the BEST values out there.

13. Scooter

Scooter Member

I'm not nuts about it with my Dr. Z Mazerati. Wondering if the silver would be better.

14. Lution

Lution Member

I use the DDSS with the Silver LTD. Both are a great combination and sound amazing when stacked!!!

15. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

My friend runs one through a deluxe reverb. To me it sounds more like the ideal Marshall sound in my head than any Marshall I've ever played. He gets absolutely killer tones with his. I tried it with my Mesa, it just didn't have the same vibe. I borrowed it to use through a HR deluxe for a gig, and it didn't have that vibe either (but the stage volume at that venue wouldn't allow me to warm that amp up, so I still blame the amp for the lack of mojo that time). Give it a really good clean channel where the power section is just barely breaking a sweat, and you are in for a treat.

D

16. Lution

Lution Member

very nice clips.

To hear a DDSS and the Silver LTD together and separate go to my band's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/plasticorangemusic

All the recordings were using the DDSS and Slvr LTD into a Fargen Blackbird 40.

:JAM

17. Ken

Ken Member

18. HHB

HHB Member

you have to play the amp loud to get the natural tone from the DD IMO, but it sure sounds good when you do. I was a bit luke warm after playing my first gig w/ the DD at lowish volume, but then I took it to my classic rock gig and look out, my fave pedal OD tones ever, goose it w/ a tube screamer for the EJ thing, I love my original hand lettered DD

19. JPenn

JPenn Member

I totally agree. When I first got a Direct Drive I wasn't just floored with it, but after taking it to a gig I haven't been able to find a pedal to replace it.