1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pre amp boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyjett, May 15, 2011.

1. billyjett

billyjett Member

Can I get some advice on what the best pedals are for boosting an amp that already has some natural break up to it. I've been using a Keeley modded TS-9 stacked with other pedals with my Fender Vibro King, and by itself as a boost for my JCM 800, but is there something better? I've heard that the Xotic BB pre amp is good, but have never tried one.

2. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

I like a clean boost such as the keeley Katana or Farndurk Joe. That said, a lot of people use a Tim or Timmy pedal for this purPose with excellent results. The Barber pedals LTD, Small Fry, etc. also excel for his. I own and love a small fry. I really want a Tim.

3. cob666

cob666 Member

What kind of boost? Are you looking for clean boost because that might be tricky. If your amp has some slight break up to it anything that pushes the front of the amp harder may just add more overdrive or saturation. If you're OK with the additional OD then I'm a big fan of tube screamer type circuits for that. I used to have a nice pedal that Partsocaster has now, it had a paisley paint job and it was a good TS type pedal but had some extra balls to it.

Another nice pedal you might want to check out would be a treble booster type pedal, not very clean but it does wonders for exciting a slightly breaking up amp.

4. 8len8

8len8 Member

The BB is pretty good, but IMHO the Sweet Honey Overdrive is better since its gain responds to pick attack better.

5. billyjett

billyjett Member

I have a Katana that I use for clean boost only, and it works great.I'm really after something that adds some balls without drastically changing the tone of the amp, and with enough adjustment to not put me over the top distortion wise. I have heard good things about the Barber small fry.What the hell is aTimmy? I have heard other people mention it, but I have no idea what it is.

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Keeley FuzzHead might be just what you need. It can easily be set up to add plenty, or only some girth while retaining great chordal definition and while keeping your tone intact. It won't do any over-the-top type gain, more like a low gain FuzzFace without ever getting "woofy", but with a ton of available boost on tap if needed. I use it for just the situation you describe a lot, and love the way it pushes an amp.