Pre-Amp/EQ/DI Pedal vs. DI and Separate EQ Pedal?

JWJ915

I have been playing live music for a few years and I am starting to put together a pedalboard. I have a Seagull Mini-Jumbo with a Q1 pickup and an Allen and Heath ZED board. I have been fairly pleased with the EQ'ing I can do with my board, but am looking for something with more control as I search for the "perfect" sound to my ears.

I currently use a Radial J48 DI box but have been reading reviews about the Radial Tonebone PZ-PRE, and it sounds like a stellar unit. I have also read reviews about the Carl Martin Parametric EQ pedal, and it seems to be a pedal that performs very well with acoustic instruments as well. I am torn on which pedal to try... Do I stick with the Radial DI box and get the Carl Martin EQ pedal, or do I try the PZ-PRE with the built-in EQ section and DI feature?

Is the Carl Martin EQ going to give me more control, and overall better sound than the built-in EQ on the PZ-PRE? Or is the EQ on the PZ-PRE more than adequate? Does anyone have any experience with either of these pedals? Any thoughts would be appreciated, and I am totally open to suggestions of other pedals that may work just as well.

I know the Aphex Acoustic Xcite is not really an EQ pedal and it is not a pre-amp, but does anyone have any experience with this pedal?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Trending Topics