Pre Amp tubes bliss.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by illini, Jun 7, 2008.

1. illini

illini Member

I love the pre-amp tubes. Think everyone should have a few lying around to swap out now and then. If you are getting a little tired of an amp, I find that just by switching V1 to something else can sometimes bring the amp back to life for me again.

I have been using a Groove Tube 12ax7C happily in my JCM 800 2204 for a few years now. Today I thought I would try out a JJ Ecc83S I had on the shelf. For some reason I thought I wouldn't like it with this Marshall, but I may like it better. Of course next month I will probably change my mind again.

Who has found a tube they really love with Marshalls?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Me too! Careful you might end up with a pile like this! ;)

[​IMG]

3. richey88

richey88 Member

I change the pre in my EVJ head weekly, this week I have a JJ ECC83 too! Kinda dark but I dig it!

4. tybone

tybone Member

SAVE YOURSELVES. I am just now getting down to the last 30 tubes from a mania that started about 6 years ago. It got to the point where I was following Organ movers around for old tele's from Hammond reverb amps!

Seriously, In most amps it makes a difference....In some amps it makes a huge difference.

Cheers
    Larry

5. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

how did you score them? I mean how did you get organ movers to let you have the preamp tubes out of them? Id like a handful of old tele's to keep around the house.

Ive been picking up used old tubes on ebay.. I just keep waiting for the cheap ones to pop up and I snag them... I jsut got a couple of GE 12ax7's that worked great in my slo clone even though they are long plate, slight harmonics on the open high e only.. but I can live with it.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ive bought a lot of tubes off ebay (Tele's included)as you can see from my post. Mostly pre amp tubes. Prices/demand are steadly rising and its increasingly difficult to "find" good deals.For instance Ive been watching an auction on a quad of Baldwin Raytheons and its up to almost 90$ for a the quad with 13 hours left. A year of so ago they rarely went for more than 40$ for a quad. I dont think Ive paid more than 10$ a pop for them. Its very addictive though. After amassing over 1300 pre amp tubes Im trying to ween off! :NUTSThe higher prices things are snagging is helping! I mostly just peruse lately. Bob

7. illini

illini Member

1300???? I bow down to you Master.

8. illini

illini Member

That is amazing. Ya, I don't have anywhere close to this many.

9. illini

illini Member

Cool. I am using the JJ ECC83S, not the JJ ECC83. It does tame the highs some, which is generally a good thing with a Marshall. My L.P. is also on the bright side, so it seems to be a good combination so far.

10. phatster

phatster Member

One Question...Are you married?:banana

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yep-happliy for 19 years! Im pretty good with everything else and even manage to save money. As a mechanic it helps as Ive driven the same car for 17 years. I also save money around the house. Put in my own hot water heater ,patio,plumbing repairs etc. I'd probably be in the poorhouse if I wasnt good with my hands! My weakness is gear. 7 amps,24 guitars and 1300 tubes. Not real expensive gear but still....Thankfully my wife is good about it. Still its an obsession I aught to come to grips with. Im mean who needs that many 12AX7's! :eek:

illini- Bow? If your religious say a pray for me or something-geez!! I think I need to join an OC support group! lol! Bob

12. illini

illini Member

I'll see what I can do.:D

I am also married, and have a very supportive wife. I try not to take advantage of that. It has helped that music has been my main source of income for 13 years. Still it surprises me when she says I should buy the new amp I am looking at. The latest, is a 64 Bassman head that fell in my lap. I still haven't decided to pull the trigger or not.

Lloyd