• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

pre-amps for drum machines

EVT

Hi everyone,
Do you have any recommendations for a preamp to be used for drum machines before going into fostex 16track? I want warm up the drum tracks.
thanks....
evt

:)

LSchefman

What comes out of a drum machine is line level, not mic level, so you don't want a mic preamp.

You might try a tube direct box, assuming that your line level device won't overload it (instrument signal is lower than line level). I know that the Groove Tubes Ditto will work in this application, and of course, you'll need two of them for stereo.

The GT boxes aren't hi fi devices, they will punch up and distort enough to "warm" your signal.

What most people will use in this application is a warm sounding compressor, however. But be creative! I've run drum machines through guitar OD boxes, Pods, etc. Lo-fi is "in" these days. Try a bunch of things.

MichaelK

Originally posted by LSchefman
What comes out of a drum machine is line level, not mic level, so you don't want a mic preamp.
Many have attenuation pads for line level signals. An inexpensive tube preamp might be just the ticket. Your other suggestions were also good.

Greggy

I'll second Les' compressor suggestion. Not sure if it's a warm one, but with certain drum patterns the RNC compressor adds snap and clarity to Boss DR-770 material. But the sweet spot is often very narrow. Gotta adjust attack and threshold settings very carefully, with a relatively quick release time. Ratio between 2:1 and 3:1 generally.

Let us know if you find a good DI/preamp match, as I'm interested.

MichaelK

Another suggestion: try adding a little warm room ambience, just a touch to get a more "live" sound. Sometimes "warm" analog gear cuts out high transients; this would preserve them.

GaryNattrass

Feed your drum machine into a guitar or bass amp and mic the speaker up.

Then mix this with the direct signal and it will add depth and if you move the mic away ambience to the drum samples.

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
I sometimes run my drum machine through a pair of powered monitors and put mics on those.

I like to run my DR-770 through my Behringer UltragainPro 2-channel tube preamp. The Behringer is a rather low end device, I admit, but it adds a certain grit that makes my patches sound livelier. That and a bit of reverb.

Trending Topics