Pre-Dirt Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ev O))), May 30, 2015.

1. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

Hey Guys
    I'm looking for a small-box reverb to go before dirt. I'm not looking for something particularly "ambient" as such but at the same time I'd like it to have a bit of flexibility. I'm happy to have it do even a single type of verb as long as I have a lot of control over it, but a few modes would be nice. Something kind of colourful and messy would be cool. Pre-delay, whether inherent in the design or as a controllable parameter is highly preferable. Top mounted jacks are also a must but if the RIGHT option didn't have them then I could accommodate side jacks.

Options I have considered:

Dr Scientist Reverb: A leader at the moment. Not super controllable but it has 9 different modes inc rotary which balances that out. Selecable Pre-delay.

EQD Ghost Echo: Great pedal. I'd love the option to get a little "MORE" out of it, however I ahve played one extensively and generally enjoy it.

EQD Levitation: Waiting to see what the deal is with these but looks pretty promising, like the above but with the MORE I think I need. I'm right in thinking these will be widely available and weren't just Levitation fest exclusive yes?

Strymon Blue Sky: This pretty much covers it all, box is a little large but I can fit it. Spring and plate modes when set conservatively are highly under rated. Only problem is the price. These things tap in at like $450 AUD. Also you never hear much about these before dirt so if ANYONE HAS ANY INFO AS SUCH PLEASE CHIME IN!! If it turns out it rules before dirt then I'd find it worth the cost.

Catalinbread Talisman: Only side mounted pedal I'm kinda considering, but only because the demos sound so good. Still.

If anyone could take the time to reply and offer insight into how some of these perform pre dirt then it would be indeed greatly appreciated. OR if I have missed something, please let me know! After a bit of feedback I'll go try some stuff out and get it done!!!

It should be noted that I already have the greatest pre dirt weird verb ever in the Industrialectric RM-1N however this is in the interest of a PT-JR set up for travelling to gigs easier. I also have an afterneath on the board as well but I like that more with the taps emphasised and later in the chain.

That's really long, but BIG THANKS to anyone who will spare me a minute or two :D

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. triviani

triviani Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the RV-2.

I have had the RRR, which was great but stupidly sold, and the Ghost Echo, which was such a white-noise dissapointment.

The rV-2, with all its quirks, stays. In fact, I'm using two of them. I'd give it a try.

3. Rockerverber50

Rockerverber50 Supporting Member

Dude the Subdecay Spring Theory before dirt is a thing of beauty. No Kevin shields reverse stuff but otherwise sooo gnarly!
    I have been wanting to get a Super Spring theory as it seems you can get 100 percent wet and it has a bit more tonal flexibility!

Spring theory into my Smallsound//Bigsound mini is just so darn good.

4. transmission

transmission Supporting Member

Londoner currently enjoying life in Sweden
    Have a look into the Digitech Polara, it's the updated Hardwire RV-7. Has the same Lexicon algorithms.

5. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

HEY dude, I'm going into a Mini as well so that is super encouraging.
    That said I'm pretty keen on a pre delay control, as per my OP.
    BUT if it goes well into a mini then that makes me pretty keen.

Thanks for the other replies guys, the RV-2 is Gnarly but not quite what I want, and the Polara is pretty far. BUt thanks anyways.

6. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Ghost Echo, man. But get the new small version. No noise, adds just the right amount of depth to a part without killing your attack and getting muddy. I love it. It doesn't have a lot of modes, but on front of dirt, most reverb sounds will sound the same.. if I want more decay out of the GE, I stack a delay into it. If I want more modulation out of it, I stack a Warped Vinyl.

The Dr Sci RRR is great too, but the mix control introduced a lot of noise. And I had an earlier one, which was incredibly sensitive to power and didn't like being after any buffers for some reason. I'm sure the newer ones have fixed those issues though.

Still, the Ghost Echo is the best.

Here's a clip of my Ghost Echo into the dirty channel of my Verellen Loucks.

wrightdude likes this.
  7. triviani

triviani Supporting Member

My Ghost Echo was one of the new smaller ones, and it still was noisy, on all settings. Asked EQD about it and said it was normal. Is not a lot of delay noise, and will not be noticeable for the purpose of being before dirt, but it's quite annoying if it's the only pedal in your chain that introduces noise at all.

8. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

I think this is the way I'm gonna go man. The Keys player in my band has a big box one and it sounds great.
    I reckon I'll wait and read the vibe on the new Levitation they are putting out. The posted before saying they were shooting a demo today. It doesn't have a dedicated pre-delay as such but still has a nice "SPROING" and seperation to the attack. Also good idea on stacking for versatility. By the time I have this spot filled I will have a Count to 5, a Misty Cave, Warped Vinyl, DD7, Afterneath and Meet Maude on the board with it so...

And noise doesn't bother me Triviani. I embrace it.

Ghost Echo/Levitation it is I guess.

9. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

@triviani, I have no noise with mine :dunno
    Like the RRR, depends where you have the mix control (depth control on the GE). I keep mine around 10-11:00. If it's cranked, it's more noisy. But way less noisy than the RRR I had.

@Ev O))) - I find that most huge sounding reverbs have a novelty to them that wears off after a while. The GE is just solid and doesn't try to be a novelty. It just sounds awesome and stacks great with everything. And it doesn't kill all your attack like some other reverb pedals do. Sounds like you'll have a nice variety of stacking options to create your own "modes".

The Levitation looks cool though!

10. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

@Empros My thoughts exactly, to a large degree. I tend to defer to VSTs for massive verbs anyways. Levitation just seems like the GE with some extra tweakability, so I'll wait and see how it pans out. Thanks man, I think I've got this sorted.

11. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I like VSTs for massive verb too. Try out EpicVerb if you haven't already. It's free and awesome.

12. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

I have a bunch of the Valhalla ones and a few MAX for Live ones. I'll scope EpicVerb for sure!

13. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Ev O))):

A few things... The Dr. Scientist Reverberator is incredible. A guy I jam with has his guitar player's pedalboard at his house and has one of these on his board, and to date, it's still the best sounding reverb pedal I've ever used. The Plate 2 setting on it is what gets me. I haven't heard the Talisman but from the demos they sound very similar. I ran the Reverberator first in the chain (with a Ghost Echo at the end) and it was immense, huge, soaring.

The Ghost Echo is not something I would recommend putting at the beginning of your chain. I recently sold my Ghost Echo, but it is a great reverb pedal. The reason I wouldn't put it at the beginning is because of the immediate pre-delay it has in it. This can make things very muddy sounding. I found it to be best positioned at the end of my chain. However, I have seen a few people put delay pedals at the beginning (Graham Coxon), as well as the RV-3 Reverb/Delay with the Delay on (The Raveonettes), and they were pretty successful. I've never been able to get a delay or the Ghost Echo (which the Levitation is based off of) to sound good at the beginning, but that's just me.