Pre-Mosfet Full-Drive 2 warmer the FD 2 Mosfet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burstbucker, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I keep hearing that the older Full-Drives are "warmer" then the FD 2 Mosfet. I guess that means that the FD 2 Mosfet is noticeably brighter. But can't you just dial back the Tone knob and pretty much get it to sound like the older Full-Drives, or is there something more to it then just warm vs bright?

I have a FD 2 Mosfet , which I find decent sounding but I am intrigued with the older ones now. Damn you Gear Page! LOL

There's a guy in my area selling a pre-Mosfet FD 2 , looks just like my blue FD 2 Mosfet but with only one toggle switch rather then two. The "Mosfet-Standard" switch isn't there.

Would that pedal be more like the old warmer , more open sounding FD that I keep hearing about? He only wants $90.00 for it , that's if he hasn't sold it yet.

I'd appreciate any feedback on these various Full-Drives. Thanks!

2. bluflames

bluflames Member

No idea about the fulldrives but IIRC there are two ways to clip a MOSFET - one of them basically uses the silicon diode in the MOSFET and works like any standard silicon clipping diode. The other (apparently) has a very soft knee and high clipping voltage which is supposed to sound more "amp-like"

I have no idea which one the fulltone uses.

The problem with pedal electronics vs. an amp or something is that the parts of a pedal don't really 'age' the same way they do in a guitar or an amp. I mean sure the capacitors (like any capacitor) can wear out over the course of several decades but I have no idea if this affects the sound at all.

My guess is that you won't notice a huge difference between the two, but if you can sell your existing fulldrive for more than 90 and come out ahead (and not miss the mosfet clipping option) then I'd go for it. I just dunno if there's anything special about the pre-mosfet clipping section of the fulldrive 2 that warrants having both pre- and post- change versions.

3. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

YMMV, but I thought the pre-mos was more tube-like. (Not even sure if that is a thing.)