Pre-Owned Top Hat Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Aint Life Hell?, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

Seem to be a Kick @ss value!
    Anyone out there know the pro's & con's of this particular line?
    I heard a guy play a G&L through a Club Royale once & I was quite impressed. Chimey heaven...

2. ROKY

ROKY Member

Pro's and Con's ?

My experiences with TopHats have been ALL positive; not one
    thing I would change with the two I own-- both were bought
    used with zero problems, so far .

I have a King Royale 2x12 combo(chassis now resides in a head cab)
    and an Embassy head(discontinued model)

My TopHats ooze great tone .

3. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Only semi-con I know of is that the original 1x12 Club Deluxe and Club Royale are in a somewhat shallow cabinet resulting in a little less low end. I think the cabinets moved from 9 to 10 1/2" deep.

I think they're the Hamer of Amps, best value on the used market.

4. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

One of the best amps on the market in my opinion and the best value.....only thing that has replaced them for me has been my divided by thirteen......

5. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Well I have had mine since the end of '98 and I can tell you that it is the only amp that is never going to leave my stable. I never noticed before, but my '98 cab is 10.5 inches deep. You say they used to be 9? I have a pair of Silver Bells in the amp and this thing records so well....... It records with better low end than my Jubilee 4-12/Savage Blitz 50, and the chime factor is so incredible. In my current rig, it is being tortured by a Vitamin G treble boost. Simply outstanding! M.E.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ROKY

ROKY Member

Michael E-- very nice cosmetics on that Club Royale; red always
    sounds a bit better, I think . :cool:

Mine is a Rough Blonde with wheat grille and my Embassy head
    is a Rough Brown tolex(Script logo.. '97 model, I think..)

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The con is that you will fall into the "I bet you can't own just one" syndrome very quickly after you get the first one.

8. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

FYI- My little red amp is a Club Royale. M.E.

9. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Is that a 2x12? I think only the 1x12 CR & CD were in the shallow cab. Love those script logos, anybody know what Brian is up to?

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I've owned nine TopHat amps since 1998. I sort of like them.....

Go to the TopHat amps forum - you'll get all your questions answered. It's at www.tophatamps.com . Go there, and click on "forum".

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I'm strongly considering one of these, or a Divided by Thirteen. I do want to go EL 84 ... a really nice Burgundy 2x12 CR just sold in the Emporium for $1200.

I've got my eye out and will be selling my '65 Deluxe for one of these.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

13. vic tynes

vic tynes Member

Anybody have an Emplexador? I've been working with mine (50W, 2-12 cab) for a few months, now. It seems very picky about which guitars are plugged into it. I'm open for suggestions for great tones. I got lucky and found two the other day -- trebly clean for a Strat, and a browner sound for LP. It went crazy with classic tone when I put a Marshall Guv'nor in front of it.

The amp is a beauty. Played through different speakers (e.g., Mesa), it's about as creamy as an amp can get.

14. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I have an Emplexi, and I've had it for ~4-5 years now. I use it with pretty much everything - Les Paul, Strat, 335, L5 (!), and I get great tones with each.

I do have favorite settings ranges for each, so with about 2 seconds of tweaking for any guitar change, I'm all set to go.

I run it through a Guytron GT-212 cab with two mismatched Celestions.

I don't typically run a boost/distortion in front of it (mine is a Top Hat Blue Collar), but I occasionally pull out a wah and Fulltone Choral Flange (run into the front; I have no effects loop), and they sound great.

15. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Nothin' but love here for Top Hat. Handwired, bulletproof, and great, great tone. Got two TopHats, and they are in the permanent collection.

Resale is actually pretty firm for the flagship models like the Emplex and the King/Club Royales. Future classics.

Word is that Brian Gerhart will be resuming production, possibly adding a new amp design, after moving this summer from California to North Carolina.

Kiwi

16. johnyfavorit

johnyfavorit Supporting Member

Emplexador user here! using mine with a tophat 4x12 loaded with g12h30's (two of which are scumbacks). don't have any settings suggestions because i believe it is so subjective, and total signal chain dependent.
    i currently have three tophats - club royale 2x12, ambassador 35 2x12, and the emplexador 50. i cannot say enough good things about these amps. i play a variety of guitars through them( les paul, strat, tele, sg, ibanez ah-10, rickenbacker 325), and i am always able to get a very pleasing organic tone that lets the instrument shine through-- with very minimal knob tweakage.

17. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

+1. They are the only amp maker where I've had zero problems.

I've owned three - Club Deluxe (sold), Club Royale (sold), Emplexador (keeper). I only sold the Clubs because I require reverb in my grab n' go amp.

Boy, if Brian ever added reverb to one of his portable 1x12 combos, I'd be *done* with amps. :dude

18. meterman

meterman Member

I'm a three TopHat guy myself, Club Deluxe 1x12, Super Deluxe 2x12 and Emplexador 50 head. I love these amps! Best tones I've ever gotten, they work for me extremely well and I'm very confident in the quality and durability b/c they are built with topshelf parts and utmost care and Brian G. stands behind his work 100%. Looking forward to seeing what's coming down the line next....

BTW Vic, I've never had problems getting great tones from my Emplex with a variety of guitars, Strat Tele LP 335 etc. There is a surprising amount of versatility in the Emplex controls (like all the TH amps I have) and seem to be sweet spots all over the place....can you give more detail to the problems you've been having ie: what guitars, vintage or modern channel, etc.?