Pre-Slide It In Whitesnake - generally overlooked stuff?

WildRanger

One thing is for sure - Whitesnake didn't have a commercial breakthrough in America until the US version of Slide It In in 1984. With an album "1987"(or S/T) they turned into another hair metal band.
Are you well familiar with pre-Slide catalog and how much do you dig it?

Personally I think that Whitesnake's early bluesy/boogie hard rock stuff(with two Deep Purple guys in the band lineup) is much better than commercial hair metal-era stuff.
Two weeks ago I listened their album Live in the Heart of the City and it really rocks.

What would you say?

Blix

Supporting Member
I'll include non-US Slide it In in the good stuff. Personally I LOVE those earlier albums. That's the real Whitesnake to me. While I dig 1987 and Slip of the Tounge a lot still!

NorCal_Val

“Live In The Heart Of The City” was the first album I bought by WS.
Next was “Come And Get It”, then “Saints And Sinners”.
I really liked their early catalog.
The pre-Sykes version of “Slide It In” was their best early studio album.

pomfret

One thing is for sure - Whitesnake didn't have a commercial breakthrough in America until the US version of Slide It In in 1984. With an album "1987"(or S/T) they turned into another hair metal band.

Personally I think that Whitesnake's early bluesy/boogie hard rock stuff(with two Deep Purple guys in the band lineup) is much better than commercial hair metal-era stuff.
Two weeks ago I listened their album Live in the Heart of the City and it really rocks.

What would you say?
:agree

Best Whitesnake, in my opinion, was in the 70s.

Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody, Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Neil Murray... can't get much better than that.:bow:bow:bow

NashSG

I pretty much try to check out any and all old hard rock from the 70s into the 80s and those early Whitesnake records are some that I have not heard.

BADHAK

Yeah I bought all those albums as they came out(still have them) and found them to be solid albums with a sprinkling of great songs. Considering the talent in the lineup, I found the performances a tad workmanlike and the wimpy guitar tones have always frustrated me.

That said, I'd take this era Whitesnake over hair metal Whitesnake anyday.

Think Floyd

I was never a big fan, but I did see Whitesnake back in '79 at an outdoor festival in Aschaffenburg, Germany. Several bands played, but the only names I remember were Whitesnake, Motorhead, and Lucifer's Friend. It was a good show!

CowTipton

Silver Supporting Member
Coverdale went from sounding like Paul Rodgers to sounding like Robert Plant.

tribalfusion

Early catalog for Whitesnake and late catalog for the band Europe for people like myself who prefer Deep Purple and Rainbow to more generic 80s rock.

DRS

:agree

Best Whitesnake, in my opinion, was in the 70s.

Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody, Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Neil Murray... can't get much better than that.:bow:bow:bow
Absolutely!
Never liked the Aquanet Whitesnake. I was dismayed when Moody and Marsden left the band.

sixty2strat

This was a band I knew nothing about, I remember Moody in GP ads as an endorser of Washburn IIRC. Them sounded like I might like them but in the late 70's early 80's there was 50 years of music to hip myself too. Unless one of the cool DJ's or a buddy was a fan a lot of things got pass'd by. Come 1987 I was like HUH?

Sweetfinger

Supporting Member
More familiar than 99% of anyone else you're gonna come across. After getting Slide It In right after it came out, I noticed that there were some other, older records in the "import" section of the record store. One by one over the years I tracked down everything from the pre- Aqua-Net days.
I'll add my usual observation: That early Whitesnake is Coverdale's overt attempt to have a soul band, becoming less successful at that goal with each record, and becoming more successful as a heavy rock band. In between the two is a really nice place. Musically speaking, it's essentially, Bobby "Blue" Bland, fronting a rock band.
I pretty much try to check out any and all old hard rock from the 70s into the 80s and those early Whitesnake records are some that I have not heard.
Good Lord! You don't know what you're missing! ...literally, ... Jon Lord, on keys.
The old Whitesnake is chock full of Hammond organ, slide guitar, and some talkbox sprinkled here and there.

pomfret

Absolutely!
Never liked the Aquanet Whitesnake. I was dismayed when Moody and Marsden left the band.
First time a friend lent me Live in the heart of the city, I thought, that's the music I want to play and that's the kind of band I'd like to have.

That was many years ago, and it wasn't until recently I got my first Les Paul, I've been always a strat player. I never had that kind of band, but with my new Les Paul I can't stop playing riffs from all that old Whitesnake records, happy as a pig in mud.:)

NorCal_Val

First time a friend lent me Live in the heart of the city, I thought, that's the music I want to play and that's the kind of band I'd like to have.

That was many years ago, and it wasn't until recently I got my first Les Paul, I've been always a strat player. I never had that kind of band, but with my new Les Paul I can't stop playing riffs from all that old Whitesnake records, happy as a pig in mud.:)
It’d be awesome to play “Take Me With You” in a band.

Mudder

Whitesnake wasn't Whitesnake until Sykes imho. Yes, previous work was solid, but Sykes writing and playing pushed them to superstardom in the 80s.

tms13pin

I was so lucky to see this lineup in one of the best concerts I've ever seen. This version of WS opened for Iron Maiden in the Paul DiAnno days and then Judas Priest (Point of Entry). What a great show. Three great bands all putting on a great show. They also played in a killer concert venue, so the sound was great too.

--Tom

Trending Topics