1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice
  1. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Does anyone make a decent pre slotted nut for a Fender strat?

The graphtech one I tried was much better than the junk that came on it but the slots were a tiny bit wide and let some of the strings behind the nut ring.

Tried another string tree but it didn't help. I glued some dust in the slots with the strings in place then scraped off the excess and broke the string loose and that almost fixed it.

The graphtech did go on with very little trimming if the slots wer'nt so wide it'd be prefect.

The techs in my area that I know of are hacks and I don't want to spend a fortune on nut files although I'm leaning that way.

Are nuts that hard to mass produce?

Thanks,
    RRC

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the short answer is "no, they don't".

all nuts have to have the final slot filing done while on the guitar. the pre-slotted ones just save time in locating the slots.

3. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I have had great results with the Tusq XL pre-slotted nuts.

4. walterw

oh yeah, the tusq stuff is just fine. it still needs to be slotted after installation.

5. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Buy some files and learn how to do it yourself, it's an amazing skill that you'll be glad you have. If you cut your own you can dictate the string spacing and distance from the edges, and with a string space ruler you can get the bridge spacing right on as well. I like graphtech blanks, but the pre cut are only cool if you don't have files and need to get rid of a plastic nut.

6. walterw

actually, my point was that even with the pre-cut ones you still need those files.

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, this is because there's no way for the nut manufacturer to know what height the frets are on the guitar it will be installed in.

Also, Warmoth sells a nice set of 8 nut files:

http://www.warmoth.com/Files-C215.aspx

You just have to cut the nut slots at a higher angle than the strings so the strings only contact the front of the nut. Then, after you get the slot depths right, file down and polish the top of the nut so the slots aren't too deep.

8. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

$100 a set, there has got to be an industrial supplier that has it cheaper.

9. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

$12.50 apiece is a pretty good deal actually, $3.60 less than a comparable set from StewMac.

10. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I guess they'll pay for themselves the first couple of jobs. Thanks for the link.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

12. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

They are the Ibanez set I believe. They are made in Japan. And I bought that set for $69 just 2 months ago from Warmoth. WOW, what a price increase! Maybe the earthquake thing has them in short supply.

13. jessejsaunders

jessejsaunders Member

i haven't used the warmoth set, but I've had really good luck with the Stew-Mac nut files.

14. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

I'm in the same boat. I've used the pre-cut tusq nut, and sanded the bottom surface to bring the whole nut down lower, so that the pre cut slots work out to be about the right height for the frets. I square-up the nut against a block of wood as I sand. Probably not as good as a good pro job, but better then some work that I've had done.