Pre-wired pickguard source for a strat build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mad dog, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey all.

My buddy is pulling together pieces for a strat parts guitar. He has the body, knows which pickups he wants. And knows a good guy in the NY area who can put it together for him.

I'm aware of some suppliers marketing wired up pickguards, ready to go. Is this a good option for my friend, or would he be better off just finding the parts, then letting his tech wire it up? If it is a good option, who can you recommend?

Thanks much.
    MD

2. bach

bach Supporting Member

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

What pickups is he buying? Many winders offer assembly for an upcharge. Compare that fee against what his tech wants and he'll have his answer.

If he's doing a SSS Strat my wiring suggestion is the Jimmie Vaughan schematic. Volume, neck tone, bridge tone with the middle pickup wide open. Almost no one uses the tone control on the middle pickup and the bridge benefits greatly from it.

This is from Fender's site http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/013-9202A_SISD.pdf

The wiring diagram starts on page 2. I've used it a couple times but used a .0047 cap instead of the .022 on Jimmie's guitar.