Preamp into Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

eddie knuckles

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone ever had issues plugging in a mic pre into a Focusrite unit?

Signal chain:
Black Lion Auteur > Focusrite 6i6 > ProTools 12.7

I am plugging in different condenser microphones and instruments (several kinds) and find there is no gain control on either channel of the unit. When I increase or decrease gain on the unit, there is no change in signal path to my DAW which has inherent background noise and is weak in signal. I tried to see if there was a software or hardware issue, as well as try brand new cables, shielded cables, and unfortunately the same to similar result ensues.

Anyone have any experience here to help a brother out? Is my mic pre unit likely defective?

Multicellular

I have not used that mic pre, but I've sent many mic pres into Focusrite 18i20 and 2i2s. I typically send them via a 1/4 balanced aka trs able and on the odd ones that output an XLR, I use an XLR to trs adapter cable. I do that so that I don't accidentally send phantom power through to the mic pre and so that it bypasses the Focusrite pres (though I never looked if there was another way to do that - me having the mic pres predates me having the focusrites).

But I also mention that also to note that, if everything is working right, the more likely scenario in using an external mic preamp is that you engaged two preamps and you have an over powered signal. So that with changing the gain on the unit does make me wonder if something is wrong.

eddie knuckles

Silver Supporting Member
The Auteur is XLR in and 1/4" cable out.

When I use the Focusrite unit alone, I have less noise and can control my input signal level. When I use the above mic pre in front, the mic pre renders background noise and there is no signal control from either channel of the mic pre unit.

I did try both TRS and standard 1/4" cables out to both the mic inputs in front as well as the line inputs in the back of the unit.

Multicellular

The Auteur is XLR in and 1/4" cable out.

When I use the Focusrite unit alone, I have less noise and can control my input signal level. When I use the above mic pre in front, the mic pre renders background noise and there is no signal control from either channel of the mic pre unit.

I did try both TRS and standard 1/4" cables out to both the mic inputs in front as well as the line inputs in the back of the unit.

Well that doesn't sound right at all.

jmoose

I've always run TRS cables from the preamp/compressor to the interface inputs, never XLR and never had an issue. Unity gain on the Focusrite stuff, doing that seems to be about 10-11 o'clock. Do you have another mixer or something else you can run the preamp into to see if its working?

eddie knuckles

Silver Supporting Member
I did try an OLD "Audio Buddy" I had in my old box of woe and tried that direct into the interface with an even more awful amount of noise. XLR in to line out 1/4"

Trending Topics

Top Bottom