Preamp into Marshall effects return

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by azimuth, Feb 2, 2015.

1. azimuth

azimuth Member

Hey all, does anyone favor a preamp into the effects return of their Marshall heads? I have a YJM and AFD, and for variety, was thinking about picking up some kind of Mesa pre- either a Studio Pre, Triaxis, maybe a Rectifier Recording. I know I won't totally get the Mesa vibe with the Marshall power section but I'm curious about it. Anyone tried any of the above, or have any go to preamps for this type of arrangement? Though I'm not a huge Metallica fan I think that's what they did at some point?

2. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

If I was going to use a Marshall amp I would use the stock pre. If I wanted to experiment with different pres Id use an amp that had a better fx loop than a Marshall like a mesa dual rec or a soldano.

3. americananalog

americananalog Member

Billie Joe Armstrong does this. He runs a Custom Audio preamp into a 1959X power section. Sounds great

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. Belmont

Belmont Member

I had a JCM900, I would run the line out of my Ho's Attenuator to it's effect return.
    I ran my 75 Super Lead into the Ho, Ho line out to Lexicon PCM-41 Delay into the effects return of the JCM900, sounded really good.
    I was very impressed with the 900's output section.