Preamp not working

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jconway747, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jconway747

jconway747 Member

The preamp on my acoustic isn't working. It has new batteries but the tuner doesn't work and I get no sound when plugged into an amp. Any ideas? It's the Ibanez in my signature.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Has it worked before?

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

You need to check any wires that plug into the preamp and be sure to check that the output jack is switching the battery on, it does this by grounding the battery.

4. jconway747

jconway747 Member

Yeah...

5. jconway747

jconway747 Member

Ok thanks :AOK

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Sometimes it's the battery.

7. jconway747

jconway747 Member

I've tried two different sets of batteries though. I wish the battery was the problem though. :(

8. in a little row

in a little row Member

onboard tuner, right? doesnt this have a battery check button..if so does that work...if it does, you know the ground is right, and that there is another problem...either a short in the wires to the pickup, or something internal...as mentioned, check all the wires/jacks on the preamp to ensure proper connection...the output jack shouldnt be the issue (jacks in this case, it has the XLR out as well as 1/4 inch)...but id check the whole jack assembly...it just 4 screws and id guess that theres a problem with the wire connection in the battery box, but yo could observe the jacks in the same operation
    j