preamp/pickup for 12 string?

docgorpon

I've got a 12 string acoustic. It's a cheap seagulls. I need an active pickup system for it that sounds good, and won't break the bank.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Fishman Matrix Infinity is a good undersaddle pickup that doesn't cost too much and is a fairly straight forward install for those who are handy. Just need to make sure your string spacing is within the matrix transducer's sensing range before you drill. I'd avoid magnetic pickups because the plain strings sound overpowering compared to the wound ones so the string balance is "off" (...to my ears anyway.)

RustyAxe

Fishman Matrix Infinity is a good undersaddle pickup that doesn't cost too much and is a fairly straight forward install for those who are handy. Just need to make sure your string spacing is within the matrix transducer's sensing range before you drill. I'd avoid magnetic pickups because the plain strings sound overpowering compared to the wound ones so the string balance is "off" (...to my ears anyway.)
Most of the good magnetic soundhole pickups have adjustable pole pieces for just for that reason.